CALLING ALL COMPUTER NERDS! Need computer buying help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

In the past when I have purchased computers, the main consideration behind their specifications was Simming. So I would purchase them with the intent of having an ATI graphics card put in, if it wasn't already part of the package deal. I fought tooth and nail for the last one I bought, the guy was really pushing me for an NVIDIA. Sorry, ATI only for me, bucko. (NVIDIA cards are notorious for not working well with The Sims 2, for some reason)

So now I am possibly in the market for a new computer. Well... I pretty much am for certain, as my beast is coming up on the three year mark and it has gotten really laggy and tired, (had it custom built and had problems with it early on) and I don't want to spend money on this thing when it's a perfectly good excuse to get a new one. Plus I want Windows 7 so by the time I upgraded the system and buy the new OS, I might as well just buy a whole new machine.

The Sims 2 is my main game of choice (The Sims 3 just did not get my attention, I don't like the look of the game in general, plust it still doesn't have pets and that just doesn't roll with me) but I do like some of the shockwave games and such, plus I've been admiring Starcraft 2 from afar for a while.
(system requirements: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article. ... leId=26242 )

I don't really do any heavy gaming, though, and not usually for any real extended period of time. So I don't need a major gaming machine, or anything. But I do like to run my games on high specs and performance in that respect does matter to me.

I've been kind of scared away from http://www.TigerDirect.ca by a friend who says that most people in the industry avoid dealing with them at all costs due to a previous snafu of them refurbishing Dell PCs and selling them as new. But if anyone sees a system on there I should be seriously considering, I'd like to know.

I don't want to spend more than $700 (before taxes) on the new machine. So right now I am looking at two very different ones.

I am wondering if it is technological blasphemy to even consider getting a Dell, and I hate to admit that I've seen a system that has grabbed my interest. I have heard that the quality of their systems has improved leaps and bounds since their "Dude, you're getting a Dell!" days, but I've been carrying around a bias against them for a long time, LOL

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-8300/pd

The 8GB of ram and the dedicated graphics card is really selling me on this one. In my price range I'm not seeing many systems with more than 4GB and because everything is being sold with Windows 7 64bit and the OS itself requires 2GB, I really do want some extra memory. Plus, it includes shipping, (will have to see if they only ship with Canada Post, hahahaha) and it has pretty good ratings.

On the downside, the graphics card is not a gaming level card, but it should take pretty much anything I'm going to throw at it, since I'm not hard core, right?

I know with hard core gamers, power supply is a big consideration. But for my casual level of gaming, is it something I really need to consider? Is a larger power supply just a good idea all around?

If so, I am looking at this computer:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=037503

It has an admirable graphics card, and a beefed up power supply, but only 2x2GB - not the 8 I would prefer. But if I don't need the power supply, then I don't want to greatly increase my electricity bill for no reason.

But, I'm pretty open to suggestions. As long as they don't include buying a mac or building my own computer.

I'll see if my husband has any suggestions. He's got a very souped-up machine for games, but he builds his own computers ... and it seems like way too much trouble, so you are smart to avoid all that.

I am not a fan of dell. Other than my father, no one I know whose had a dell has gotten them to last more than a year or two.
My dads dell laptop lasted him about 6 years, but he's kind of a freak, and he doesn't do much with his computers.
I'll do some looking, and I'll let you know what I find that I like.

I'm not a fan of Dell but they are trying hard to get back into the market. Julien just bought himself an Alienware. Now that's a computer... by a Dell branch, lucky for them to have hit the gamers with Alienware. Their customer support is also awesome. Julien has paid and arm and a leg for it so don't know if that's got to do with it being top notch. (probably)
I'm also looking for a new computer. My laptop is 4 years old, it's having serious issues right now and really getting me to curse out loud. lol
But... I'm heading for a Mac. I'm more into videos and pictures and from what I've seen, Mac is awesome for those.

go for the mac. I finally took the plunge in January, and I LOVE it. Its the best computer I've ever had, I'm hard on stuff, but this has had no problems, hard ware or software.
They aren't good for gamers though... most games are not compatible, but the video editing software is amazing... beats windows movie makter by a mile.

I had a Dell XPS and it worked perfectly for two years, I played most of the hard core games on it until I bought this new Alienware R3. There is nothing wrong with Dell at all, as long as you take good care of it (which is true for all comps). The XPS will run all the games you mentioned and likely many more, I would not go with the prodigy one since it runs with AMD Athlon cores and I much prefer intel - AMD seems to have stability issues with Windows OS. Also, that is a good deal for a computer, even base model, youll be playing Sims 2 and Starcraft 2 on the highest qualities I am sure. Just to let you know that the PSU at 460 W will run the system efficiently but the issue with XPS is that if you want to upgrade beyond base model (i.e graphics cards etc.) you'll need to upgrade the PSU.

One thing you didn't mention that is important for gaming is the processor. I have an Intel Core i5 in mine and it works great when I play the Sims, WoW, etc. I would definately get this level processor or higher if you plan to game even a little. My hard drive failed a couple of weeks ago, and while it was getting repaired (under extended warranty, thank god!), I had a loaner with an Core i3 processor (a step down) and I could not game AT ALL. It was very slow and lagged a lot, even when I set the game to the lowest quality settings.

When I bought this machine early last year, the guys at work (I work at Future Shop) said that dedicated graphics memory is also important for high graphics demanding games (Sims, Starcraft, etc). Mine has 4GB of RAM, with another 1GB of graphics memory, so when I am gaming, it won't slow my computer down.

Okay, I too am in need of a new computer. My hubby has a laptop built for gaming and whatnot and he spent around $1000 but I am with you I'm not looking forward in spending a ton of money. We recently went to best buy just to price me a new computer. I am a photographer and I want a big screen and I also play sims. I love turning the graphics all the way up and with his computer I can but my old one wouldn't take it. I know nothing about computers like absolutely nothing and as I'm typing this I'm telling him to shush because I can't type everything he's saying and I've already forgotten like half of what he said but here's a synopsis of what he's told me before (he's still going btw lol) that you will most likely need to spend around $800 to get what you need and not have it go outdated in a few months time. The computer I finally decided on was $1000.. yuck. Not looking forward to spending that much money but it stinks.

My old laptop was a dell and it was just a cheap one and I did have it rebuilt about a year and 1/2 ago but it finally died for good... It lasted well over 4 years but sadly it died.

Hope this helped at least a lil bit

Back