cage rehab?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denial

So, I've recently pulled my big old annoying cage out of storage. It's probably not as large as some of yours, but it's a big annoying mother to me. Anyways, I wanted to get it all spruced up to get my current ratties into it, but it's pretty gross. I did a poor job of cleaning it after its last inhabitants then left it to sit in the garage for a good three years. I think I've got all the gross junk off, but it's pretty rusted in places and the paint (powder coating?) is flaking off in others.

I'm sure rust is bad for ratties, but I also can't think of any products I can use that won't make the whole toxic. Any ideas or should I scrap the whole thing? :wallbang: Really don't want to. It was expensive and it's large and blaaaah.

Excellent link. Thanks ;D Not sure if I'm that handy, but I'll definitely try the tea thing. Maybe it can soak in my tub?

Good point, though. After posting I began to troll Craigslist and actually found a cat cage? (According to the calculator, it'd fit 10! Double the size of my restoration project). However, the woman thinks the bars are an 1" apart. Too big for my baby girl, but is it too wide for my adults too? I know I can cover it with additional mesh but I'd rather not (although anyone have any mesh suggestions if I do have to, or if I have to make extra doors/levels/whatever?).

Back