Cage Recommendation Poll

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which cage would you recommend for my two future rattie girls?

• Ferret Nation Habitat Model 141 (Will add a mesh)

• Super Pet My First Home Multi-Floor Home (will add mesh if needed)

• Feisty Ferret Home 31 In x 20.5 In x 54 In H (would add a mesh)

Results are only viewable after voting.
it might help the poll if you add pics of the cages so everyone can compare :D but I like the FN, the Super Pet seems too small especially if you get GGMR later on and will have to buy a bigger cage :lol: the feisty ferret one looks cool but a review says it bends easily :( but those who know more about cages may be more helpful :)

My absolute favourite is an FN but for girls, I can't recommend this cage unless you are ready to do modifications to it, just in case you have small adventurous girlies.

What I would recommend is a martin's cage, perfect for babies and girls. For two girls, I'd recommend the r695 but since it's not part of your poll, I voted for the Feisty, you would still have to wait till your girls are a bit bigger but it would be great space for two girls and the bars are closer together than an FN, so I bet once your girls are 3 to 5 months old, they shouldn't be able to escape the Feisty.

Plus, I'd love to see lots of pics of the Feisty... you see, I'm addicted to cages. lol

I love the FN for its ease of cleaning and its spaciousness, and you are prepared to put up extra screening when they are young, but if your girls are small you might be better off with a Martins.

Not on your list but I would go with a martins powder coated R695 with extra large doors and a pull out bottom tray. Good for rats of all ages and easier to clean with the extra large doors. (http://www.martinscages.com)

All of the other cages will need modifications due to bar spacing.

The super pet cage is a good one, Linda has one - lots of vertical space but the foot print is only 24 in x 24 in. The people whose dog knocked over the rat cage and ate the young girls they adopted from me, had them in this cage ... so not a good cage if you have other animals :cry:

The FN is a good cage but would need modifications. I would suggest that if you get a FN you get the cage with 2 sections as it is cheaper to get it together than separately ... and you will eventually want the extra space. Did hear on a rat list that a FN for rats will be coming next fall. (Someone had been in contact with the company.)

good luck, choosing a cage is a difficult decision.

Yes I've actually have been trying to decide between the Fiesty ferret (will of course put up a hardware mesh) and the martins The Ferret Villa (F-435) (is the pvc coating safe) or The Rat Skyscraper (R-695)

It's so hard to decide...lol...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr calgon take me awayyyyyyyy

The reason why i like the my first home exotic cage is because it is a good cage but doesn't cost a ton of money like the FN does, of course i would love to have a FN but i don;t have that kind of money. Petsmart ( mine) has had a ton of them. I always have one build so people can see them and see how much better they are than the all living things cage. I haven't had a problem because my cage is high up from the ground. Petsmart is starting to carrie them more and more and its one websites now.

Looking at the pictures, i would go for the feisty ferret. But it looks like that all 3 have a lot of space between the bars. Since you have girls, i would recomment a cage with less space between bars. I have no idea where you live, so i cant help you with picking a cage that is available in your area and that i know. Im familliar with the ferplast cages and terenziani. terenziani is oke, i would at least go for the 2 level one. But 3 level one or a voilere is even better. the the bars are in squares so the girls cant escape, its had no plastic so rats who like to break out by chewing through the plastic are safe in there. But its get rusty very fast and because of the bars its starts to smell very quikly. So you have to clean it very good and dry it very good. terenziani voileres also dont have plastic and i really like those. i have an furet tower right now. Bigger brother of the xl and plus. those are grat but with plastic and the bars are 1,8 cm. so not for 5 week old girls. my 6 week old guys couldnt get out of it anymore and i have held 10 girls in it, they never escaped. you need a lot of space for the xl and tower, because there pretty big. hope you understould what ive written, my English isnt the best.

Ferplast voileres;
http://www.fretten.nl/N_frame.html?http ... _home.html

Ferplast cages (only the ones with FERPLAST before it are from ferplast..) & terenziani (last cage)
http://www.fretten.nl/N_frame.html?http ... _home.html

EDIT: great, cant link to the pages! oke on the left you see a list; you go to RATTEN ARTIKELEN (in the middle) then to KOOIEN (in the middle) for voileres go to FERPLAST VOILERES. For the cages go to TRALIEKOOIEN.

I have the SuperPet My First Home. I got it for a steal $60! I have modified it to have a whole second level and i think its a pretty good cage. Bar spacing is still 1" though so girls could get out of it.

With the extra floor the cage calculator says it will hold 4 rats, 5 max.

If i was going to get a cage for girls i would definitely get a martins.

Back