cage question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanEyes117

I am looking for a new cage for my two girls. I am a student and have a budget to stick to. I am hoping to pay about $50-60. I found a bird cage on ebay that is powder coated and has a stand. The cage is 20x20x24.5. Does this sound like it would be big enough? Does anyone have other ideas for a good cage for 2 in that price range?

Keep in mind that you can easily spend another $20-$40 on just altering a cage to make it suitable for your rats. Shelves, middle floors, landings, toys, etc.. If you get a cage that has good bones, you can plan on less renovations needing to be done.

If you don't need the cage right this moment, I'd keep an eye on Craigslist.

I have been looking for weeks and nothing... lots of animals but no cages.

I think I would Like to save up for a Martins, everyone seems to love them. I am also keeping my eye out for a nice birdcage. For the Martins, I am thinking a R-670 or a R-680 for my two girls. Opinons?

I would definitely go with the 680. The 670 really isn't suitable for rats, especially girls. It only has a 24x14 footprint, which isn't enough running around room. Rats like to climb, sure, but they like to run around, too. You would need the powder coated, but that's the only "extra" thing you would really need to do to it. The flip top lid is nice for cleaning, but since the door is so big you don't have to have that. I've comfortably fit 3 in my 680, too.

The SP Exotics cage is also a nice option. It has an 18"x30" footprint, 3 shelves, and comes with a wheel. I believe another member found one for around $80-$85, which after shipping would be less expensive than the Martin's.

Do martins cages ever go on sale? I would love to get one but it will takes months for me to save up for a 680 and the cage the girls will be sharing when i finish intros works for one but will be cramped for two. I know i will end up choosing an extra level over a wheel. I would love to get them into something suitable and appropriate, not to mention with enough room to play and romp and have toys. :gaah: :panic: i've been searching all over and now I want a cage so badly... if only i had the money!

The only one I found was the rat highrise (h-600).

The Rat Highrise (H-600HR)
18" x 11" x 24"
Three ramps
Two balconies
Full middle floor
Drop-in 2½" plastic pan
Powder Coated

seems a smidge small.... But currently its only $30 incl shipping, but w/ 5 days left...

That cage is about the size of a good sized hamster cage. Really not suitable for rats, though.

Back