Cage Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CardboardCastles

Quick question:

Currently, I have my babies in

http://www.petmountain.com/product/cage ... eluxe.html

I hate this cage with a passion. Its too small, really, even though they're little. I've been keeping them out as much as possible because I detest this cage so much. I was hoping I could hold out until September with getting a new and improved awesome bigger cage when I moved into my new apartment, and now financial limitations are creeping up on me. I really wanted a cage from Martin's, and then I saw this one.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/cage ... 30-h-.html

The Martin Cage I want is R-690, which is only a little more expensive in powder coated...

In the long run I'm building them both up off the floor with a cabinet unit underneath for supply storage, and on casters for easy movement. Currently, though, I was wondering if anyone has opinions on which of those two are a better choice for me and my little girls, whats cleaning like, setup like, etc etc. Thanks!

D'oh! I do that all the time. I think I've copied a URL and I haven't. Its fixed now.

And yeah, it is VERY SMALL.

My exfiance blew me off for quite awhile when we had our 4 boys in a cage like that. Thankfully it was when they were all very young. When he was taking care of them on his own I think I finally won the "HELLO THEY NEED A MASSIVELY BIGGER CAGE" battle. I guess he wasn't expecting them to get so big...

My girls are just about 6 weeks, nearing 7...or at least Wil is, I'm pretty sure Lucy is a little older, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping not, because they still had the males in with the females. (though I did say something to the guy and he practically ran for another cage). I just want to get them into a comfortable home as soon as I can, but for my own selfish comfort I want one thats not a pain for setup and breakdown and thats easy to clean.

Someday in the future, I'll be building my own cage from scratch, I have it all drawn up, I just have to invest time and money to getting it done, for now, I need to buy something the girls will like.

The r690 is not really a suitable cage for rats. I wish the martin's would sell anything with a base smaller than a 18 x 30.

That second cage (Superpet for exotics) you linked is excellent for two girls and could even add one more, maybe two if they are smaller.

I'm going to try it out. Afterall, what can it hurt? Its a HUGE step up from what they're in now.

I stupidly went into PetSmart after work and spoiled the girls rotten though, they have PLENTY now to go in their new cage once its ordered and shipped :D

I happened to peek at the price of that SP at PetSmart too, they wanted $99 for it, yeesh...I would have had it sooner, but PetMountain is free shipping, so I'm going to save the extra money and just order it online.

cageideakn6.jpg

This is eventually what I'd like to build. I'd like for it to be massive though, like 6 feet tall. I dunno. 'Ventually I'll get around to it.

I have two SP Exotics cages and I love them. I am using one for my neutered male and two females and I think its a better cage than the Martin's R690. The SP cage is 18 inches deep where the R690 is only 14 inches deep, too narrow in my opinion.

Here's my set up this week, I change it around every week.

jorats said:
That looks great ratsncats.
I too agree, it's a better cage than the r690.

Thanks and I really love the cage! I have extra shelves from another SP I don't use and I put them in to make a full level when I did my cage over last week! The only thing I wish was that it had a top door to get the wheel in and out..........

Definitely a good choice going with the SP Exotics cage! The 690 seems larger than the SP My First Home, but you still can't comfortably fit a wheel in there and there never seems to be any room for things. The entire base or middle floor is taken up by a wheel, and by the time you get a hidey house in on the other floor, you're out of room. And it's a PITA to clean, for some reason. I sold my 690 ages ago, and I still shudder to think of that cage..

Back