Cage Placement

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
~boGGle~ said:
Well you should be ok as long as they have darkness at night. The skylight shouldn't matter then or the shade --unless you have a really bright street light right outside your window.
It might be an issue in the summer, but now we have virtuually no daylight. Well... Like 9 hours of it.

You know I was wondering about this. I'd read a study on breast tumours in humans that links lack of darkness as a cause of reduced restful sleep possibly linking to tumour growth. I've always covered the upstairs cage with a dark fleece as the window is really bright up there, but I've started covering the condo with a sheet in the daytime. The small window in the hall is really bright and I figure if they are sleeping they don't need the light. Rats in the wild would be sleeping in dark tunnels underground. Not sure if it will help, but I can't see it would hurt.

I had both my rat cages in the computer room because thats where we spent most of our time. Over Christmas i decided to put the boys together in the same cage after weeks of intro's, we moved them downstairs in to the living room because we were spending a lot of time there and so we could watch out for any fights. They are still down stairs, and i'll probably move them back upstairs in a few weeks

Back