Cage Opinion?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sure, do all you're able to to get a roomy well-coated cage. But I gotta say that in the beginning I had the smallest cheapest cages and up to 5 kids in something half that size. And they were no less happy or healthy or long-lived than having a few kids in this space
100924SmittysSpace.jpg

It's so easy to tell someone what they should get, but you ought to say that's the ideal, not the necessity. Lots of things come into play, like if you have to leave your kids to go out to work or play then you better give them buddys to play & snuggle with and room to get away from those buddies if they want. But if you go to school or work for 9 hours and your'e home the rest of the time then the minimum size of the cage is gonna be dependant on how much time they spend in it. I've had a group of kids that always slept in a clump in one favorite hideyhouse and I was home all the time and when they weren't asleep they had an open cage - their cage could have been a a shoebox! Other kids I've needed to have a few hideyhouses in the cage cause some liked their space. It's really more about the group dynamics & the space & opportunity available to them than cage size.
It just rots my sox when I think of a good parent with happy well-looked-after kids looking at a post like this and suddenly feeling like they're not doing right by their kids (the worst thing any of us can feel) because they have 3 or 4 or 5 kids in an un-powder-coated cage that size. If you're hoarding or breeding it's wrong, they shouldn't spend 24 hours or even 20 a day in there, but if you have 5 kids in that cage and they are out running around in lots of space and getting love & personal interaction with their human 8 hours a day even that's worth more than a huge powder-coated cage with a human who's too busy to let them out or interact.
As long as you're multiplying square inches by # of ratties, throw time out multipied by square feet and individual attention into the equation. And don't powder-coat the results!

haha Thanks Fidget! I needed that right now.

Won't be getting that cage from the looks of it. My boyfriend and I got into a pretty huge argument over it cuz he thinks it's a waste of money since it has to be powder coated, etc. and then it lead to stupid stuff, of course. I'm really upset, because this delays me adopting any ratties even further...I was going to bring out the cage I have here, but it's been damaged in the garage since I last looked at it :cry: and all my other cages besides a one level hammie cage and a smallll cage I used for transport with my dwarf when we moved, are 8hrs away at my mom's....Guess I'll just have to hope someone sells something decent, at a cheaper price, on kijiji soon or something.... *sighs*

I had that cage for a little bit also it was a ok cage but a pain to lug around to clean(its kind of heavy) And a pain to add the fabric to the levels :rant: we did put plastic stuff bought from the dollar store to make it a little easier but still taking them out each cleaning ugh.

I do hope you find your dream cage soon :cuddle:

Just keep saving, and when the right cage comes along you'll know. I've gone through SO MANY cages, it really does make a difference to get the very best you can afford, a god cage lasts so much longer.

Thanks ladies. I'm hoping I can find something soon. My dream cage would be a CN lol but that has to wait til we get our own place to have the room haha

Asheka said:
Won't be getting that cage from the looks of it. My boyfriend and I got into a pretty huge argument over it cuz he thinks it's a waste of money since it has to be powder coated, etc. and then it lead to stupid stuff, of course. I'm really upset, because this delays me adopting any ratties even further...I was going to bring out the cage I have here, but it's been damaged in the garage since I last looked at it :cry: and all my other cages besides a one level hammie cage and a smallll cage I used for transport with my dwarf when we moved, are 8hrs away at my mom's....Guess I'll just have to hope someone sells something decent, at a cheaper price, on kijiji soon or something.... *sighs*
I can't imagine why anyone would buy a cage then pay to have it powder-coated. Just buy the best cage you can in the beginning (roomiest possible but absolutely has to be clean & cleanable) and work up as you can.

The people here are the best. I just went off about cage expectations getting beyond necessity (my rat pet peeve) but nobody knocked me for it! So to me that says that people are truly more concerned with the critters having good homes than they are with the critters having good houses. That's comforting, Hugs to all the cage-concerned!

But Asheka, you surely can't consider taking in a rat unless you have something really nice to offer it space-wise. All the space I have my kid still only sleeps in 2 places. I could have her in a small cage cause she gets to get out and run when she wants. Cage size means nothing, they will have their favorite sleepy space. It's what they have open to them to do the rest of the day.

Fidget said:
But Asheka, you surely can't consider taking in a rat unless you have something really nice to offer it space-wise. All the space I have my kid still only sleeps in 2 places. I could have her in a small cage cause she gets to get out and run when she wants. Cage size means nothing, they will have their favorite sleepy space. It's what they have open to them to do the rest of the day.

Oh no, I wouldn't take in any rats without the proper caging, hence why I've stopped the process for now.

Back