Cage Opinion?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asheka

So, been browsing kijiji for a slightly bigger cage than what I have since things are moving a little slowly with the adoption possibilities (I'm thinking lj and chelle are very busy right now :giggle: which is alright, and gives me more time to prepare lol) and saw this one:

7560ed3_20.jpg

I'm still sorting stuff out and talking with the woman selling it, but would be covering the levels with fleece and of course adding some toys, hammock(s), etc. The dimensions are 2ft L 3ft H and 18" wide which one of the rat calculators said it could fit a max of four if space was used properly. She's asking $60 for it, and it sounds like a good cage, once cleaned and "decorated", but would love your opinions on it!

Looks like a good cage to me. Also looks disgustingly dirty. If it were clean then 60 dollars would be a fine deal but I'd try to get some money knocked off if it's coming to you as dirty as it looks.

Brax said:
Looks like a good cage to me. Also looks disgustingly dirty. If it were clean then 60 dollars would be a fine deal but I'd try to get some money knocked off if it's coming to you as dirty as it looks.

Was thinking bout that too...definitely needs a good scrub down. I'm hoping I can get her to come down a little bit, but she some what ignored my part of the e-mail saying I could give her $40 this/next week, but if she wanted a firm $60 then it'd have to wait a couple weeks (surprise cell phone bill :roll: )

SQ said:
The base is a bit small. A base should be at least 30 in by 18 in.

Make sure the powder coating is ok under that dirt ...

It won't be a permanent cage but I wanted something better than my current one til I can save up for a CN or something.

Oh yea, I'm definitely fully checking it out before buying it. :thumbup:

Are the bars powder coated or just galvanized? You should definitely ask, since galvanized bars will stink to high heaven in a short period of time, and can't really be de-scented properly. Any cage you buy should be powder coated.

Nothing wonderful, although there's a few nice sized bird cages I could easily make levels and such in (I have a great one out at my mom's I did that too...but 8hr drive to get it :cry: ) so I'm just not sure yet. My boyfriend got a surprise cell phone bill too, so we're tight for cash, so I may have to delay all this which sucks big time. I put up a Wanted ad on Kijiji for my area though so maybe someone will contact me...*shrugs* I just wish I had the money to grab a CN or FN right now...there's an awesome one but it's $200 which we can't do right now...*sighs*

I was wondering, though...if I found something to cover the levels with for that one, would it be better? I don't know much about plexi-glass or that coroplast (sp?) stuff you guys have talked about before, but would it help keep it from smelling?

That's my vacation cage at my parent's house. I had mine powder coated for $30 at a metal working shop. Then I sewed my own liners and use half inch hair clips to secure them. The doors could stand to be bigger but it was good for my 3 boys.

Cigar said:
That's my vacation cage at my parent's house. I had mine powder coated for $30 at a metal working shop. Then I sewed my own liners and use half inch hair clips to secure them. The doors could stand to be bigger but it was good for my 3 boys.

I'd only be getting a pair of females...what type of place does powder coating? That's a lot cheaper than I'd assumed it would be to get it done...

Asheka said:
Cigar said:

I'd only be getting a pair of females...what type of place does powder coating? That's a lot cheaper than I'd assumed it would be to get it done...

2 active girls would have a blast in there! Here's a place in Sarnia: http://www.cccoatings.com/index.html They have a "free quote" option. Get the exact measurements and tell them that it also needs to be sandblasted [to remove the crud and rust]. The $30 I was charged included the sandblasting. :)

So, might have another lead! haha I posted up a Wanted ad and a woman replied. The dimensions are pretty much the same, but she said it has two full and two half levels, etc. and just needs the space so is willing to let it go for $40. She only said it was a large metal cage, but has a plastic pull out tray for cleaning and two large doors (one at the top, one at the bottom). I asked if she would be able to send me any pics, so hopefully I'll have a better idea soon! If it's powder coated and looks to be in good condition I should be able to grab it this weekend! :dance:

So, to update...the woman who first e-mailed me was nice but the cage she sent me pics of had been outside since last Winter. Rusted and ruined. Funnily enough though, the next day the woman I had originally posted the pic from messaged me and said she really needed the space so would be willing to let it go for $40! I'm going to go check it out and possibly pick it up today. I probably won't be able to get it powder coat for another week, or two, but the initial step of getting the cage might be out of the way! w00t lol

Have you double checked pricing of powder coating in your area? I would just hate for you to spend the $40 on the cage only to find out it's going to cost a ridiculous amount to sandblast and powder coat.

The place Cigar gave me the link to is the same place (just diff city) she took the exact same cage to and said it was about $30 to do it..I'll see what they're online quote says though. At the very least, I wanna check it out today to make sure there's nothing else that would need to be done.

Back