cage cleaning

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xxchelle said:
Yep! You can get unscented. That's what I use, and I know we recently turned Shelagh onto them as well too. They work wonders!

Excellent. Right now I buy cage cleaner, a bottel cost 10 dollars and only lasts me a week with my 7 cages. Baby wipes are cheap :D

With my cages I just empty the bedding (don't use fleece so different to you), and then as smilez does simply baby wipe it. If the cage gets really dirty I'll properly scrub it at the sink but that's generally not very often.

I wipe down my cage with either diluted vinegar + baking soda spray cleaner or the old vinegar/peroxide combo. Spray it on and wipe off. Don't need to worry about rinsing or anything and it disinfects.

We still don't have more ratties as yet but i'm doing a bit clean of the rattie home right now and using a cage cleaner, but i don't really like using them when i clean with rats in there as even to me they smell really scented so to the rat they must be worse. What soap does every one use to clean the cage? I like the baby wipe idea for small cleaning though.

I have 2 bottles that I spray at the same time and let it sit/soak for about 3 min then wipe down. 1 bottle is a vinegar/water solution and the other is in a dark purple spray bottle as to not cause any chemical breakdown, but contains peroxide. I read on goosemoose way back when that if you put the two together ahead of time that it loses it's cleaning/disinfecting powers so you have to mix them at the same time right when you start to clean, and that the peroxide needs to be kept in a dark container otherwise the light causes it to oxidize and turns it into pure water. :) **I also use baby wipes and snatch up stray raisins as I walk past their cages** (( 6 boys, 3 girls - dbl FN and dbl CN - meeessss makers to the max hehe ))

I've been an advocate of baby wipes for both rat and cage cleaning for some times. They're wonderful!

I took a rag and wet it and reached in and wiped everything down and spot cleaned when I had ratties. When we could manage it we took all the stuff apart and gave it a good thourough wash but they were mainly interested on peeing on eachother, not the cage :p Silly girls. Mainly we took out the attachments (shelves, plastic) and washed it in the sink once a week or so

Thanks Jorats, I will be going there tonight! :)
I tried the water/vinigar solution but my ratties starteed sneezing when I used this, so I stoped.
I don't like using just water because to me thats like washing yourself with just water ..it don't get ya very clean lol.
I will give the baby wipes a try tonight :)

Back