cage bar spacing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machined

whats the size of cage wire/bar spacing max size for rats?

edit: im sorry i just noticed there is a area to post about cages and such sorry for posting in the wrong place. :sad3:

It depends on how big your rats are. For babies and small females you are safest with the 1" x 1/2" grid (as on a Martins cage). For bigger rats you can have bars 1" apart. The Ferret Nation cage has about 1" x 5", which can be difficult for some rats to climb. I wouldn't want to have a cage with spacing any wider; they can squeeze through very small spaces.

thanks my rats are females and pretty big but i just want to be sure i have to buy one on ebay and just looking at the max size.

this is the cage im looking in into:

x2ktgx.jpg

the Martins cages i find are ugly no offense to anyone.im just not into all metal stuff :sick2:

Yes, the pee rivers are a pain. I got around them by pinning cloth over the shelves, and it made the cage so much cuter!

ok yeah like fabric is ok also? i just find thos better looking but i could custom make shelfs maybe but im still in the looking parts maybe find some shlfs with opens too they do have ferret cges but im scared the bar spacings its hard to see just in a pic.

My girls are in a ferret cage which is covered in hardware mesh. It was a little bit of a pain to cover the cage but it let me get them an awesome cage and not have to worry about bar spacing.

I have a super pet cage, the smaller version of the one you showed. When my boys were smaller, around 4 months, they easily got right through the bar spaces. If your girls are over 6 months, they should be alright. I love the cage, personally.

As for the pee rivers, I haven't had a problem yet. When I notice theres a bit of urine buildup, I just wipe it down with a damp rag.

cool also what about this cage?

100_7035Small.jpg

size:
wire- 25" L x 16" W x 27" H- Spacing between wires: 0.700" (17.78 mm)- Wire Size: 0.104" (2.64 mm)

for sure there would be more designs to it( lol looks so plain in the picture) i would most likely mod the shelfs and such.( so many ideas looking at others wonderful cage set ups)

heres the ratties to go in it or any other cage:
100_6933Small.jpg

side view of maggie(black hooded):
100_6927Small.jpg

Back