Cado May 2006 - Oct 6th 2007

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
At the end of June, Cado and his sister Isabelle were purchased by some high school seniors, they released the rats in the hallway as a end of year prank. Another student captured some. Cado and Isabelle needed a home.
I agreed to take them in. Shelagh (lilspaz) was quick to offer her home to them to foster. On July 1st, I picked up the two tiny little sweethearts.
Isabelle was quickly spayed and returned to her brother. Cado was a happy sweet little boy, but not as playful as most rats. He was tired a lot, he slept a lot but would always seek me out for cuddles and licks. He was my boy, my baby. I named him Cado, in French the correct spelling is cadeau which means gift and that he was. I true gift in that his personality was the best. He was boss, gentle, sweet, calm, accepting and a love bug to me.
When he was 6 months old I knew something was wrong. He couldn't play or popcorn for long, he was always taking naps. Then he started gasping. I thought he was going to die. He became extremely lethargic, too weak to make the night. I force fed him Ensure all evening and the next morning rushed him to my vet. The most likely diagnosis was pneumonia and heart disease. He was put on meds which didn't work. We then tried Mucomyst. The first round gave Cado one good healthy month. But it quickly came back with a vengeance. I decided just to keep him comfortable and love him till it's time he leaves me. I'm actually shocked that he's stayed this long but his loss is still extremely hard.

This morning, Cado came out for his out time like he usually does, he gave me quite a lickfest too. I looked into his squinted red eyes and told him how much I loved him.
2 hours after the out time, he was gone.

I will miss this boy... my Cado.

smBBB2.jpg

smBBB3.jpg

smCadosmirk.jpg

smplay10.jpg

smCado4months04.jpg

smCado4months05.jpg

smCadoonyellow.jpg

smCadosleepy.jpg

smCadoromaine.jpg

Jo, I'm so very sorry. :cries: You did your very best with Cado and for that he was very lucky to have lived this long. He had a great life...he had lots of wonderful cage mates, lots of out times, yummy nutritious foods and best of all the best ratmom a rattie could ever ask for. He'll be truly missed by all his family. Play hard and breathe easy, sweet Cado! :rose: :heart:

I will remember Cado fondly.... he was gorgeous from the start. I did not realize that he was so ill though. :cry:

I'm so so sorry Jo.

jorats said:
At the end of June, Cado and his sister Isabelle were purchased by some high school seniors, they released the rats in the hallway as a end of year prank. Another student captured some. Cado and Isabelle needed a home.
I agreed to take them in. Shelagh (lilspaz) was quick to offer her home to them to foster. On July 1st, I picked up the two tiny little sweethearts.
Isabelle was quickly spayed and returned to her brother. Cado was a happy sweet little boy, but not as playful as most rats. He was tired a lot, he slept a lot but would always seek me out for cuddles and licks. He was my boy, my baby. I named him Cado, in French the correct spelling is cadeau which means gift and that he was. I true gift in that his personality was the best. He was boss, gentle, sweet, calm, accepting and a love bug to me.
When he was 6 months old I knew something was wrong. He couldn't play or popcorn for long, he was always taking naps. Then he started gasping. I thought he was going to die. He became extremely lethargic, too weak to make the night. I force fed him Ensure all evening and the next morning rushed him to my vet. The most likely diagnosis was pneumonia and heart disease. He was put on meds which didn't work. We then tried Mucomyst. The first round gave Cado one good healthy month. But it quickly came back with a vengeance. I decided just to keep him comfortable and love him till it's time he leaves me. I'm actually shocked that he's stayed this long but his loss is still extremely hard.

This morning, Cado came out for his out time like he usually does, he gave me quite a lickfest too. I looked into his squinted red eyes and told him how much I loved him.
2 hours after the out time, he was gone.

I will miss this boy... my Cado.

smBBB2.jpg

smBBB3.jpg

smCadosmirk.jpg

smplay10.jpg

smCado4months04.jpg

smCado4months05.jpg

smCadoonyellow.jpg

smCadosleepy.jpg

smCadoromaine.jpg

:heart: Jo :heart:

I'm so sorry. What a drop dead gorgeous little guy he was. And to think that he held on through his last night to gaze into your eyes one more time. He will be there for you when you reach the gate Jo. :love6:

A heart is not judged by how much you love; But by how much you are loved by others.

The Wizard in The Wizard of Oz

You are lovely Jo. Cado knows that as does now the entire rat population over the Rainbow Bridge. :rose:

There was never a boy more beautiful to look at than Cado. If only his health was as perfect as his looks and his temperament.
I'm sorry Jo :cry: Not only was he a gift, but it seems most of his days were not expectations but gifts too.
Kisses to Isabelle.

So very sorry, Jo
Cado :heart: , a special name for a special boy.
I too didn't realise he was ill.
Thank you for sharing about Cado's :heart: life and the wonderful pictures.
Cado's :heart: life may have been short but thanks to you, it was a good life, full of love.
take good care of yourself

Those pictures speak for themselves, you can just tell how sweet & loving he was and what a cutie. I am so sorry for your loss :(

Ahh Jo, I only found this post today. It stopped me cold. :( I know the little man was having a lot of issues and had been so close to leaving you only to rebound. I am sorry he had to leave you now, and hopefully this life will be a do-over since he deserves to be whole, hale and hearty in your care.

I'll always rememeber that sweet boy as a baby. :heart:

Breathe deeply and popcorn away little Cado.

Babyblueboylookatdemears.jpg

brotherandsister.jpg

Cado gives a kiss to his new Mommy
HiMommy.jpg

Back