Cadillac PT: Improving on Pred, may be trying Bromocriptine

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mixing some pedilite into anything she will eat is a good idea to....
Good luck I hope she continues to do good.....
I am thinking of her...and sending best wishes her way.

I used Pediasure on the weekend, soy milk and baby cereal this evening. But Pedialyte is a great idea! I will see if that will make her drink more. She did well on food this morning and when I got home from work. I will feed her q 2 hours til bedtime. One more day to her vet appt.

I can breathe a little easier now. I set Cadillac up in the top half of the "holiday cage (CN)" with her friend Caramel. Caramel is a gentle, timid rat who won't eat all of the food and who will snuggle up with Caddy. So now I can rest easy knowing that Caddy will always have access to food and liquid in the middle of the night and during the daytime without having to be alone. She loves to go over for a good gnaw at the banana every few minutes. Vet appt after work, and I will request Bromocriptine if he confirms a dx of PT.

I think that she is a little more mobile today, able to do more than just circle, and she continues to be well groomed. She is more steady and able to stand on her back feet for several seconds in order to groom. Front paws are still not working properly, though.

The other devouring horde is in the playpen now, working off the effects of World Rat Day peas. Back to their cage and then bedtime for all!

Just got back from the vet. He thinks that she does have PT and that, from my description, the Pred is working. She is much steadier on her back legs today, and she has kept well hydrated, although she can't coordinate chewing very well and her front paws (esp the right) are very clubbed when she tries to use them.

He is going to read the articles on Bromocriptine and then decide.

I feel like my dear girl has had a reprieve. She may never be her old self, but she is doing OK and I will have her for a little while at least. :joy:

I just emailed my vet a bunch of info from Issa's thread. Looking forward to the idea of trying her on Bromo. Issa, if you are looking down from the Bridge, thanks!

Great news!
I still have the cabergoline here, so I am able to start using when I see very early signs in hope that it works better than it did with sweet Hannah ..she was such a fussy eater when it came to meds.

Sweet Cadillac is looking much brighter tonight, and she is quite active. I noticed that she was briefly able to use her right front paw almost normally; :joy: that is a huge change from yesterday. She and Caramel had polished off the banana chunk that was in the cage this morning. I took a couple of photos, but won't have time to post them tonight.

Back