Caboose is in the hospital!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsby

We took Caboose for an evaluation today after we noticed he was still having trouble breathing. (symptoms first appeared Thursday evening, but he was still eating and active, so we wanted to observe him after we cleaned his cage to see if it was an environmental cause). There was no improvement yesterday, and we spent the night at the animal ER for an eye injury for one of my other ratties. We took him in asap today. I fear the worst...The hospital has decided to keep him in an oxygen rich environment for 24-48 hours while hydrating him and getting him to eat again. They did not indicate exactly what the cause is yet, he is not stable enough for further diagnostic testing or x-rays. I am worried about my little guy, he is just over a year old with no prior health problems except for a bout with mites.

Has anyone else been through something similar? What are his chances? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

How long ago did you notice his laboured breathing? Was he making sounds like wheezing before this?
If he has a respiratory infection, he'll need meds, Baytril or Zithromax. Some rats come out of it fast and recovery fully, especially at his young age. But some don't especially if it's quite advanced.
Sending healing vibes to your little guy, sounds like he's getting good vet care.

The vet called, and the prognosis is not good. They were able to get an x-ray, but his lungs are so swollen that they cannot see his heart (they wanted to rule out any potential heart problems) They estimate that he is at 25% lung function, due to a pneumonia-type infection, and have not seen any improvement yet. They say even if he pulls through, he would probably not regain full lung function. They say his quality of life is not good right now.

So now we are left with a very difficult and dreaded decision. I feel terrible. I wish I had some indication sooner that he was sick! He had been a little timid earlier in the week, but he would sometimes go through phases where he would be more shy...I didn't know it could indicate such a serious health concern. His activity level stayed the same and he was eating normally until Friday. He was eating mashed up food with applesauce and fresh raspberries yesterday, and even early this morning seemed to be calmer. He still wanted to run in the tubes and climb on my shoulder... The labored breathing only started Thursday. Has anyone else seen a respiratory infection progress this quickly?

How long should we wait for improvement? Keeping him in the oxygenated cage at the hospital is quite expensive. My fiance and I have an initial thought to give it 24 hours for stabilizing or improvement and then reevaluate. I just don't want him to suffer needlessly. :'(

Well, if he's got pneumonia, is he on antibiotics? I guess I'd try seeing if he can recover, but that's just me. He's still young and strong, so he might come around. Good luck.....

Just called the vet for an evening update, and he is stable. Not getting better or worse and they did see him eating a little, the vet said that is encouraging. We are going to call again tomorrow and go from there. Get well soon Caboose!

Caboose is probably scared and stressed out which would reduce his appetite as well. I would bring him home and do a full course of meds before thinking about having him put to sleep.

Cookie had pneumonia and they gave her oxygen at the vet's. Then she came home with Baytril and Zithro and lived to 33 months. Good luck with your sweetie.

The vet called early this morning and his condition worsened. The vet said it would be cruel to continue his suffering. They didn't think he would even make it back home if he left the oxygen cage.

RIP Caboose, we miss you alot. :(

Back