Cabergoline, Not Working... Dex/Pred?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinkwr

Lilith has been on Cabergoline for a couple weeks now. If anything she has gotten worse. I started her back on the anti-inflamatory we treated her sisters PT with that worked so well until hopefully tomorrow I can get her in. I left a message for my vet asking if we could do Dex shot and start her on Pred at the same time.

I am starting to think it isn't a PT and maybe just a brain tumor...

What else have you treated with with cabergoline?

Some PTs are not prolactin fed, which is why Cabergoline/Bromo don't work.

I wouldn't recommend giving Metacam if you're going to give steroids, as you'll have to wait in between the two.

Hi all not sure if you know but I am Robin's mom. I just wanted to say how much I hate these PT's. I can't stand watching our babies just shrink away to nothing. I sat here tonight holding and feeding (she has to be syringe fed now) Lilith. I had a good long talk with her and a good long cry., Telling her all about the rainbow bridge and how we would be ok if she is ready to leave this sick body behind. I talked to her about getting to see her sister Eve again (who was PTS with a PT too). I know this might sound silly but just for a moment I saw in her eyes that she was back and looked like she was intently listening to me. I say the most time we probably have left with her is until Monday. Of course if she needs to leave earlier we have a wonderful emergency 24 hour vet that we can take her to. Wow sorry for going on it's just this is our 9th baby we are losing and it sure doesn't get any less painful!! :sad3: :sad3:

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are going through another PT.
I thought that a steroid makes a big difference and is a necessary drug for treating a PT. Some people here have had good results with an emergency injection of Dex and treating them aggressively with it for several days before falling back to a maintenance dose.
You will have to decide how far along she is, but maybe this just might work and give you some more quality time together...
Good luck with whatever you decide. :hugs:

Back