Cabergoline, HOW do you get them to take it!?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinkwr

My vet was finally able to find a pharmacy in town to order in Cabergoline for Lilith and her PT. I do not want any more doses to go to waist. A ONE month RX for ONE rat is $125.. it is a tiny bit in this bottle. She only has to take it every 3 days but I can't even get her first dose down her!

I have already ruined one dose... I just am not willing to ruin anymore at this rate

I mixed it in... Nutri-Cal (she loves), grape jelly, peanut butter, oatmeal, whipped cream, and a soggy oreo, and put it in a spoon and she takes one little lick and starts gagging (the chocking motion) and then starts drooling like NO other and rubs it all out of her mouth.

I would syringe it straight into her mouth but I remember Monroe when I did that and she wouldn't swallow no matter how long I left her upside down and when I would flip her she would spit it all out and rub it all over the ground.

:gaah: :gaah: Help?

I tried to syringe half of the dose into her mouth right now (that way only half of it would be ruined if it didn't work) and I held her on her back for awhile and she was drooling and smacking her lips so much she was foaming from the mouth... I went ahead and flipped her right side up again and now she is running around smearing it ALLLL out over my tshirt and bed. She is soaking wet from drooling so much. **SIGH**

You need to be firm and get that syringe deep into her mouth, past the little flap in their throat that prevents them from swallowing things they have chewed...they will open their mouth really wide and look like they are gagging and you are killing them, but usually you pull out the syringe and they close their mouth, swallow and give you a dirty look LOL

You've seen my terrible video on how I medicate right?

Lol, it is the rat between the boobs one!! I just happened to have Whinny on my lap and we did a practice run a few times. It worked really well.

PS. I don't think you sounded like Elmer Fudd :)

Bundyrats said:
Lol, it is the rat between the boobs one!! I just happened to have Whinny on my lap and we did a practice run a few times. It worked really well.

PS. I don't think you sounded like Elmer Fudd :)

I hate having pics taken of myself and got very nervous during the video...I do this laugh when she's struggling, and can always imagine myself saying 'Wascally wabbits" afterwards LOL

jorats said:
This is how I do mine

Oh yeh but that looks like a big squishy man rat lol. Makes it look so easy! I will give it a try too though.

lilspaz, the video is great, but you should do the Wascally Wabbits thing one day anyway!

We just had meds time and I tried it 'for real' with Whinny. As soon as she felt that syringe touching her mouth, he snout disappeared into her head which disappeard into my hand. I had to go back to the two person method :(

Thanks for those videos ladies.

I saw the flaps on either side of her throat / mouth that you are talking about and I tried to stay before them because I thought I would hurt her. Good to know htat is the trick is to go past them. Will do on Sunday dose.

I still can't be convinced that getting past the inner cheek folds makes it so it can't be drooled and wiped out no matter HOW much I want to believe so. Shelagh with you saying that I really can't help but be lost wondering how I am not doing it right since you have medicated more rats than me...but I have tried different angles, and I have put the syringe so far as past their molars since they seem to bite down when I get that far. Gremlin will hold medication in her mouth until I put her down and while holding her you can see it foaming out of her mouth. I will try to get a video today when I medicate.

When Eddy was still here I couldn't syringe medicate her either. The certain rats that JUST WON'T SWALLOW and will hold it in their mouths as long as they need to, to salivate it all out.

How did her other dose go Robin? Emily and Gremlin have taken their bromocriptine happily in yogurt lately, on a plate, not a spoon. I wonder if that would be worth a try, but be sure to mix it up VERY well. I thicken it up a bit with baby cereal.

Back