Cabergoline administration

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlize

I'm to give my elderly girl cabergoline to treat possible PT. I'm to give her a twentieth of a tablet.

I'm just looking for suggestions on how to do this. Can it get suspended in water?

Also wondering if people know the contraindications off of the top of their head?

Thanks!

you are aware that if she weighs 1 Ib, then she would get more then 1/2 of the pill, once every 72 hours?
Hope you know how long it will be good in oil
I just use a pill cutter to cut the pill in half, grind up half of the pill and dissolve it in water and sweetener and syringe the half a pill into my rattie …… they do not like the taste

I would suggest that you read the link I provided and then discuss it with your vet, because 1/20 of 0.5 mg is not the correct dose for cabergoline, which is given once every 72 hours. The dose is based on the weight of the rat but people I have talked to just give half of the 0.5 mg pill.

good luck

Last edited:
This is off topic, but have you been able to start her on pred (or dex) and baytril?
That should help a lot if the pt is slow growing

good luck

She's on Baytril. Vet said we'll start pred if things go well with cabergoline over the weekend.

It seems relatively slow growing as her decline has been gradual.

Cabergoline only helps the most common type of pt and the dose you said you were told to give is so low, who knows if it will make a difference even if she has the type of pt it is effective against

Just so you know, pred or dex is used to treat all types of neurological issues such as tumours, pt, stroke etc and it will make a huge difference if the tumour is slow growing

Good luck to both of you

Awesome, thanks for that! So far there haven't been any negative side effects of the cabergoline so I suspect we'll start on the prednisone soon!

Thanks.

I'm to give my elderly girl cabergoline to treat possible PT. I'm to give her a twentieth of a tablet.

I'm just looking for suggestions on how to do this. Can it get suspended in water?

Also wondering if people know the contraindications off of the top of their head?

Thanks!
Hi! Just wanted to say I had my elderly female rat on cabergoline as well and she lived another 4 months on it. My vet hadn't even heard of it and I brought the info for her and she read about it at my office visit there and I also told her it's probably her only chance to get well. She had been having trouble walking and was laying on her side. Awful to watch.I gave it to her and literally the next day she was like a new rat-active and alert and eating again. She also gained some weight back as well. I had to get it compounded here at a pharmacy where I live and paid 67$ a month, but it was worth it to have a few more months with her for sure. I was so happy to see other people on here using it as well. I hope your rat feels better <3 I really would recommend trying the cabergoline to anyone. It was a miracle drug for my rat.

Oh wow. Awesome. I haven't seen super drastic changes in Anova yet, but I think there may be some minor improvements. I'll see if therrst a better dose for her.

Back