C & C Cages?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cinderwolf said:
Thanks. I just spent he last hour ish on craigslist emailing anyone who had a rabbit cage and i''m waiting for replys to find out some measurements.

What do you guys think of a huge dog crate ( like for big big dogs like rottweilers and things like that)? There are a lot of those for sale near me and all are around 40-50 dollars. I dunno just a thought?

You'd still have to mesh it and rig in levels. Meshing really is a pain, I got my FN pre-meshed and I was constantly catching myself on it.

Moon said:
You'd still have to mesh it and rig in levels. Meshing really is a pain, I got my FN pre-meshed and I was constantly catching myself on it.

I don't mind rigged in level ( that what I have in my rat resort now). you are right about the meshing, though, I imagine it would be a pain, but I would have to mesh up a rabbit cage as well right? or do they make rabbit cages with 1/2 spacing? All the ones I saw on cl were 1 inch :emb:

Anyways, I guess I'll have to make my decision when I get some replies and find out he size of some of the cl cages. One guy has one for free so I'm hoping that it will be a good size . Or at least that one of them will be a good cage. I hate waiting for replys :panic:

I am not trying to come off as rude or snarky, so please don't take what I'm about to say as anything like that ok?! But a lot of people here have owned rats for years, myself since 2003 and I've been in your shoes with cages. My issue was no pet stores within 300kms, and no vehicle. I tried everything, EVERYTHING posted on the internet to make a big enough cage for my rats I owned at the time. Nothing works. Seriously, nothing. Cages home made will work until you go to wash them, something will always suck about them should it be smell, lack of cleaning space, rebuilding, fixing, dangers to animals living in them, cost.... you name it. Honestly hun, start saving up for a single CN and just use the cage you have now. I have 2 rat resorts here, I have 2 small boys and a male rat/mouse combo living in them. They are fine, with lots of out time. I would keep 2 females in a rat resort until I got a bigger cage for them, no problem. Please, just save up for the CN and take the advice from people who have been there. I do feel like some people want to say this, but are tip toeing around the subject. I will say it because I waisted so much money and time on home built cages, I could have bought 3 CN's with what I spent on those. Once you have a great built cage, although a bit pricey, you will finally see what others are saying. Again, don't take this in any other way than me just trying to be blunt to save you the heartach!! :heart:

PitLuvs said:
I am not trying to come off as rude or snarky, so please don't take what I'm about to say as anything like that ok?! But a lot of people here have owned rats for years, myself since 2003 and I've been in your shoes with cages. My issue was no pet stores within 300kms, and no vehicle. I tried everything, EVERYTHING posted on the internet to make a big enough cage for my rats I owned at the time. Nothing works. Seriously, nothing. Cages home made will work until you go to wash them, something will always suck about them should it be smell, lack of cleaning space, rebuilding, fixing, dangers to animals living in them, cost.... you name it. Honestly hun, start saving up for a single CN and just use the cage you have now. I have 2 rat resorts here, I have 2 small boys and a male rat/mouse combo living in them. They are fine, with lots of out time. I would keep 2 females in a rat resort until I got a bigger cage for them, no problem. Please, just save up for the CN and take the advice from people who have been there. I do feel like some people want to say this, but are tip toeing around the subject. I will say it because I waisted so much money and time on home built cages, I could have bought 3 CN's with what I spent on those. Once you have a great built cage, although a bit pricey, you will finally see what others are saying. Again, don't take this in any other way than me just trying to be blunt to save you the heartach!! :heart:

I guess you are right, its just disheartening that there is kinda one option for a nice cage concerning rats. I wish pet cage companys would start making big , nice , affordable cages :emb: I can dream right haha.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep saving up and heck I'll browse cl to see if by chance someone is parting with their cn.

Cinderwolf said:
PitLuvs said:

I guess you are right, its just disheartening that there is kinda one option for a nice cage concerning rats. I wish pet cage companys would start making big , nice , affordable cages :emb: I can dream right haha.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep saving up and heck I'll browse cl to see if by chance someone is parting with their cn.

You're telling me, I can't buy a CN locally, I have to ship from Ontario. I'm currently saving up $500 to get mine for my boys :( Its really upsetting that the bottom of the line cages that are too small for rats are well over $130+, and they are good for nothing!! I hope you do find a great cage online though! Do you have Kijiji there??

There ARE other options, but not many.

You could look at a Martin's cage, but they're pricey to ship.

You could look at a Super Pet Exotic's cage, but people have a very love hate relationship with Super Pet Cages. The cage calculators do put it at being big enough for 4, but keeping in mind that, especially if you're thinking of eventually looking at males, it's a good rule of thumb to subtract one rat from that number. It's also not as easy a cage to modify for older rats. The price tag is quite a bit cheaper than other options, though.

Either way, start saving, and keep browsing, like you've said. You might see an ad pop up that, though maybe not a CN, the price might be right. Someone on the forum just got a good sized Martin's for $80, which is very much well worth the price. But you're not really desperate for a new cage right now so it's in your best interest to wait for something perfect to come along, or buy exactly what you want new.

CNs aren't the only suitable rat cage - they are great, but not perfect and there are other good options for smaller groups. The ones Moon mentioned are good and I still firmly believe the Mariocho cage you linked is decent - I have found a lot of the European-made cages (Mariocho, Savic, Ferplast) I have seen are pretty decent, especially compared to the most of the crap Hagen and Super Pet sell. The dog crate idea is a disaster waiting to happen... I once too considered them when I wanted a bigger cage and there were no FNs available locally (before CNs even existed) but they just seemed like they would be a huge pain.

How about these?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/z ... 39458.html
(toss the pine)

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces ... Z261612822
(ask what the dimensions are)

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces ... Z257158753
(a bit old but worth a call)

victoria said:
CNs aren't the only suitable rat cage - they are great, but not perfect and there are other good options for smaller groups. The ones Moon mentioned are good and I still firmly believe the Mariocho cage you linked is decent - I have found a lot of the European-made cages (Mariocho, Savic, Ferplast) I have seen are pretty decent, especially compared to the most of the crap Hagen and Super Pet sell. The dog crate idea is a disaster waiting to happen... I once too considered them when I wanted a bigger cage and there were no FNs available locally (before CNs even existed) but they just seemed like they would be a huge pain.

How about these?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/z ... 39458.html
(toss the pine)

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces ... Z261612822
(ask what the dimensions are)

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces ... Z257158753
(a bit old but worth a call)

I contacted the first link and I was on the way to check out kijiji, so I'll contact those links as well, Thanks

Cinderwolf said:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/for/2226843392.html

got a reply from this women . Its 19 inches high. Cage calcu says it hold 4 rats

does it seem like a good deal?
IMO, yes, I like the large door on the front and two small ones on the top. It's pretty easy to convert rabbit cages, you just need to make some levels for it. I am just going by pictures and dimensions though, I have not owned one.

Dazzle87 said:
Cinderwolf said:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/for/2226843392.html

got a reply from this women . Its 19 inches high. Cage calcu says it hold 4 rats

does it seem like a good deal?
IMO, yes, I like the large door on the front and two small ones on the top. It's pretty easy to convert rabbit cages, you just need to make some levels for it. I am just going by pictures and dimensions though, I have not owned one.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But, do you see a door on the front? cause it's kinda hard to tell form the picture but I'm not sure if there actually is one?

I don't think there is a door :shock: But I will email.the poster to find out for sure.

Yeah, that would be pretty nice for 2-3 rats. Keep your Rat Resort in case you ever get more rats and need a temporary cage for them. If you decide in the future you want to upgrade to a CN, this can be a cheap hospital or temp cage. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's a front door.

I do see a door on the front. Notice how the bars are. I could be wrong, but its what I see. I checked the site and their pics are worse than the one that lady gave you. It may be their ferret cage, which of course doesn't have any helpful details listed lol. I guess you'll have to ask.

Yeah I would definatley be keeping my resort ( probably rigging it to the top for even more space)

I'm in the midst of an email conversation regarding a different cage ad ( http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces ... Z257158753 )

I just asked her a few questions and I'm going to see if I could negotiate a better price if I didn't take the accessories ( cept the wheel if its big enough)

Cinderwolf said:
Yeah I would definatley be keeping my resort ( probably rigging it to the top for even more space)

I'm in the midst of an email conversation regarding a different cage ad ( http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-pets-acces ... Z257158753 )

I just asked her a few questions and I'm going to see if I could negotiate a better price if I didn't take the accessories ( cept the wheel if its big enough)

Thats the #1 cage they try to get people to buy at my Pets Unlimited, Ive seen it in person. It would be good if you can get your topper from the Rat Resort on it but I don't see any side doors? I'm really getting frustrated for you, all these possible cages and none with side doors :(

Just saw this post... I had made one several years ago. It worked pretty good except I had one small rat that kept escaping, plus cleaning was a bit of a challenge.

cage303-03.jpg

Did you see this one?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/f ... 12079.html

The ad is a bit old but it's still up so maybe it's still available. It sucks when they don't remove the ad after selling something, lol.
Also I never noticed this before myself, but there's a lot of cages posted in "general", or "household items", not just the pet section. Seems kinda funny. You think "cages", you think "pets!" LOL, at least I do.

ratamataz said:
Did you see this one?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/f ... 12079.html

The ad is a bit old but it's still up so maybe it's still available. It sucks when they don't remove the ad after selling something, lol.
Also I never noticed this before myself, but there's a lot of cages posted in "general", or "household items", not just the pet section. Seems kinda funny. You think "cages", you think "pets!" LOL, at least I do.

Yeah, I emailed them a while ago and never got a reply. Sucks cause it looks like a nice cage.

PitLuvs said:
Thats the #1 cage they try to get people to buy at my Pets Unlimited, Ive seen it in person. It would be good if you can get your topper from the Rat Resort on it but I don't see any side doors? I'm really getting frustrated for you, all these possible cages and none with side doors :(

Yeah I know, I looked up some pictures on google, but I kept getting 2 different types of the cage, under the exact same name, one with 2 doors on the top and 2 on the sides and the one with the plastic doors on the top, so I don't really know which one she has.

jorats said:
Just saw this post... I had made one several years ago. It worked pretty good except I had one small rat that kept escaping, plus cleaning was a bit of a challenge.

cage303-03.jpg

Jo, how did you manage to make it stable? Yours seems pretty tall, I was thinking a longer /shorter one. Almost like yours on the side.

I think tonight I am going to play around with the grids I currently have ( I have a shelf in my room) and see what I can do, just experiment, I figure there is no harm in playing around with stuff I already have. Then if I find something that will work I can go along with getting a few more cubes ( I have 13 grids currently) and some hardware cloth. I can get coroplast free from my dad's work ( yay ) pretty much the amount of cubes I would need will be 36 ( minus 13 is 23 ( I think haha) ) I can get them on craigslist with a little searching ( lots of people around here selling them) Then all I need is hardware cloth.

I dunno.. I know lots of you guys think its a bad idea but I still feel like I want to try it for myself ( I know I will probably regret it.. but hey if I don't like it, then I have the extra cubes to make a shelf or 2 or just sell them on craigslist or whatever).. anyways I just wanna experiment right now, so no plans are set in stone. Jo's cage inspired me.. and heck inspiration is kinda what I need after hours of disappointment trying to find myself a cage.

I drew up a quick plan for what I was thinking of making. I may make it one cube deep though, depending on some things...
cage.jpg

Oh and another discouraging thing.. I mentioned to my mother about wanting a bigger cage fro my rats and she rolled her eyes and snorted.. I was so offended. and disappointed. She said " you told me that those internet people ( aka the shack) said their cage is fine. And I just said " I don't like it, it's tiny and I don't know why you care whether I want a bigger cage or not."

Oh well. : P

Edit: So I just went on a research kick and found so many mixed feelings about these cages. Lots of people who swear by them and love them and lots who hate them. I think I will just have to try it out for myself then : P Time to go play with some shelves haha

Back