Burst neuter abscess care?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veggies

So Basil (14 months) got neutered a few weeks ago. After some initial complications he's living happily with his brother again. On Thursday I noticed a small lump with a scab near the neuter site, so I brought him in to the vet on Friday so she could drain it if it was an abscess. She told me it wasn't, just a scab, and she sent me home without charging me for the visit.

This morning I see a very small amount of dried blood where Basil sleeps and lo and behold, he was now sporting an empty hole where the lump was. There's no pus left in there, he must have cleaned it all out because nothing else would come out. So I've been flushing it out with saline twice a day. It's very small, no bigger than a nail hole in the wall. Probably only 2-3mm across.

Should I call the vet and ask for some antibiotics or just continue to flush? I really don't want to bring him back in, it will be the fifth or sixth time since the neuter! When can I expect it to close up?

It sounds like you are doing a good job of it already. Basil started it and you are finish it. I'd leave it alone now and see if it heals up wit no issues and it should. It should already start to slowly close up now. If you don't see any improvements by Tuesday, then antibiotics might be needed.

Sebastian recently had an abscess and it cleared up without antibiotics. We just used an holistic cream on the site.

Back