bumblefoot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderrodent

I was just wondering if there have been any new/improved methods to stop bumblefoot or make it a little better (I know you can't really heal it) or at least relieve the pain. I have a foster girl who came to us with bumblefoot (she probably had it for a while and nothing ever was done). Once in a while it even bleeds a little. She is very shy and nippy so I have a hard time even picking her up. She is on Baytril and we are going to add another antibiotics since Baytril alone didn't do anything. I read about the Epsom salt and everything but there is no way I can do that with her right now.
Thanks!

I used BluKote with my last chronic bumblefoot case. Used the kind with the dauber. Can be messy with uncooperative rat, stains things so you must be careful where you choose to sit with your rat to apply it, and what you wear. Never cured it, but while I used it the bumble never got worse, and at times looked a bit better. Clavamox seems to be a good antibiotic for bumblefoot.
http://www.drnaylor.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=30

I love blu-kote and have had very good results with it...unfortunately the old ratties that come to me with it never live long enough to see how far the treatment goes.

I use the dauber formula but just stick a Q-tip in it and gently blot it on the bumble...I keep the whole mess in a plastic ziplock bag and have done really well with this as far as staining. LOL

Fabric is doomed if it stains. Skin just scrub them really hard LOL

I would put out a towel on my lap that was okay to ruin anduse that every time. I treated Cybele's bumblefoot (she was a bleeder) every 2nd day, andI would daub on the blu-kote with my Q-tip,then blot her foot with a papertowel until it no longer stained it. I only got my hand once and fabrics (except the towel) were safe

Back