Bumblefoot or a Sprain?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AgitatedPelican

Today I noticed that my rat has a round bump on his ankle and he acts like it hurts, just not too much to move around. Its only one bump on the inside of his ankle, it isn't bright red or deeply bruised- maybe a light purple in a few areas. The swelling doesn't go throughout his leg and he can stand on it easily, he just favors the opposite foot.

Any advice, experiences, or information would be helpful, unfortunately he won't be still in a good position for me to get a picture.

Hmmm. How old is your rat? Have you had him a long time or did he come to you like this?

Bumblefoot is usually on the heel of the hind foot but I have experienced it on the side of the ankle from.a rescue who had broken his hock prior to me getting him.

Hmmm. How old is your rat? Have you had him a long time or did he come to you like this?

Bumblefoot is usually on the heel of the hind foot but I have experienced it on the side of the ankle from.a rescue who had broken his hock prior to me getting him.
I got him from a pet store, hes somewhere just before or just after 2 years. I've had him for a while and never had foot trouble. he has flooring over the wires in his cage, paper bedding, and fleece blankets.
Baby Advil is helping, and it's looking neither better nor worse this morning.

Keep trying to get that pic if you can.

How long has he had the bump on his ankle now? You could definitely try giving him infant liquid ibuprofen (if you get me a weight I can work out a dose for you) and see if that helps.

This was Sirius's foot when I first got him, before I started treating for bumblefoot.

Apr2414Sirusfoot.jpg~original

His entire leg is swollen up to 1.5 maybe 2 times its original size. We are going to the vet tommorow.

Oh dear, I'm sorry. Is the sweeping hot or cool feeling?
Bad sprain, break or infection.
The vet said either an infection or cancer. We're doing antibiotics until Monday. Got a steroid/antibiotic shot and pain killers. If its cancer then we amputate...

He is doing awesome! His foot is back to normal and we are watching to see if the bump on his ankle goes down and deciding what to do from there. :)

If the bump is hard and not causing and doesn't grow, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The swelling is the worriesome part IMO. I forgot to mention that when the swelling gets that bad the foot can "sweat" as body fluids are forced through the skin. Its scary but is relatively normal. Just in case you run into this again, its best to be prepared with knowledge.

Back