building is up for sale

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrienne

:sad3: so a lady came to our door on saturday and said that she was putting our building on the market :redhot: .. our first showing is tommorow.. i cant belive this.. i am so angry we had no notice that our landlord was even thinkin about selling and now when our lease is up in july it is most likley that we will have to move. and if we dont then they will fix it up and raise the rent to something rediculous that we wont be able to afford. ugh i dont even know where to start... Brad has asked me to find homes for some of the girls. I have 3 very lovley sisters who are about 2 months old up for adoption I will be posting them in the ontario listing section sometime today or tommorow.This is the last thing i wanted to think about and now to give up some of my rats to boot :sad3:

That really sucks... My sister went through something similar several years back, there's not much you can do about it except start looking for a new place asap.
I'm sorry about the rats... don't forget that in Ontario, they can't discriminate you for having pets.

Don't forget that Ontario law protects you as a tenant! Even if the building changes ownership you cannot be evicted unless the new owner or a close family member intends to live in your unit.
If they force you out on this premise make them prove that the new occupant is who they claim, cause if isn't you will be able to sue them for your moving expenses and for the cost of any additional rent you have to pay in your new place.

Make sure your lease gets renewed because it will protect your current rent level for at least a year. The allowed rent increase for 2009 is 1.9%. They can apply for increases above that amount AFTER improvements/repairs are made, not before. So you should be good until July 2010.

P.S. When my place was put up for sale it took almost 6 months for them to find a buyer.

I wouldn't start looking for new homes for you rats (or other pets) until you absolutely have to. It's not like the new landlords are going to know and it's not like the current landlords are going to care seeing as you'll likely be moving anyway.

That's great about Ontario and their pet/rental laws. It's very wrong for the property owners to prevent people for having pets and think of all the grief this creates.

Back