Building a rat room!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tikus

My parents have finally decided to build a rat room. It will be 6' x 6'.
I need ideas for it (i've already said outlets must be capped, lino is going up the wall 2 feet so they don't try to chew the wall, shelves/baskets for ratty stuff.)

any other ideas? :D anything is welcome. :)

Something soft but easily replaced in case it gets dirty as ground. Unless you wanna fill a whole room with shavings. xD
Also, make sure the lighting can't be attacked. And give them a window to look out! OwO
I wish my parents let me get something like that. Dx

There is gonna be a window from my room, into the rat room, as well as windows to let in light. The light will be a ceiling light, and they won't be able to get at it.
They will be in their cage mostly, but for playtime they get to go on the ground, which is why its linoleum.

I'm sure you already have a pretty good idea on how your going to do that room :)
How exciting!!!
the only thing I would def. make sure they have, is hideouts. Rats like to feel safe, specially in open spaces, so a couple of little places to hide, from where they can assess "the situation" would be much appreciated by them :)

if you ever sneezed while your rats were out for play time, you know what I mean...LOL

kscanuck785 said:
I'm sure you already have a pretty good idea on how your going to do that room :)
How exciting!!!
the only thing I would def. make sure they have, is hideouts. Rats like to feel safe, specially in open spaces, so a couple of little places to hide, from where they can assess "the situation" would be much appreciated by them :)

if you ever sneezed while your rats were out for play time, you know what I mean...LOL
One more thing, don't make the climbing things too high! Poor Charolette died recently from internal bleeding, it could have been caused from a fall from a shelf in her cage. And her cage isn't THAT high.

Climbing things won't be more then 2 feet high, at the most. If they are higher, I'm making sure there are "landing spots" every foot or so. "landing spots" of course are soft. ;)

Plenty of hidey spots will be available! I have a *ton* of cardboard boxes that i can use to make a "playhouse" ;)

When I had an appartment I used my living room as the rat free range area.
I had a futon couch covered with a washable blanket that the ratties enjoyed climbing and bouncing across.
Fisher price toys, little tykes toys, and tubes are lots of fun

Since I have a parrot, I recycle a lot of his old toys into the rat cage. Rope perches are awesome things, they're soft on feet, easy to climb, and can be twisted into fun shapes, if you could find a way to attach them to the wall it would be pretty awesome.

We recycle a lot of cat toys into the rats cage too, once ours get tired of them (Or I steal them because I know the ratties will love them more and that kitten is SPOILED! :giggle: ) Those little jingly balls are a huge hit, a few of those on the floor would probably get tossed around and chased after. Those fishing pole toys with feathers on the end are a great way for you to play too, and it'll amuse you for hours (Plus I think some have suction cups on the end so you can stick them on the wall.) And cat houses are wonderful things! The big ones are awesome, my older group loved theirs, but the cheap little box ones made out of foam are fun too. I stuff mine with fleece scraps and the girls lay in it for most of their out-time.

And there are always things like the Octoplay. I'd kill for one of those. Check out ferret toys too!

Back