Building a cage for the little ones...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blizzisme

I'm on something of a fixed budget, but I want something better for them than what I am able to afford... So I decided to take a crack at building something myself.

Just started researching it...

I found this just now:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90177626

Wondering if that would make a decent framing for a cage... L17.25" x W21.25" x H40.12"

I'm going to make the drive out to ikea and check that(and anything they might have that is bigger) to see how sturdy it is, and how big it actually is(its always hard for me to envision it just based on dimensions). At 40" high, though, I can see having 5 half level shelves in there (3 on one side, 2 on the other) at staggered intervals...

If that will work for the framing, I will just need to figure out what to do to enclose it...

Anyone have any comments on other materials, btw? i.e. how about untreated wood (like http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00058519). I know they will gnaw on it, but if I use metal grids and mesh on the outside, I doubt they could do any real structural damage to it, right?

Edit: rethinking that last one... If I get a cage with untreated wood it should probably be varnished or something to prevent urine and stuff from penetrating the wood, right?

Personally I wouldn't treat wood with anything, or use wood period. It can stink, and you cannot get the stink out. Take it from someone who has made every single rat cage you can think of! haha Not a single one was used more than a few months. One I tried which worked better was a plastic drawer container, the ones for storage. I cut the front/sides out of each drawer and zip tied mesh to it. I cut out the top and put mesh on it and then cut circles in each level so they could go up and down. That one worked the best as it was easy to clean and you can get decent size containers.

These: http://helpingbee.com/bargains/shopping?l=1&n=1063316&c=17&i=B000MPQ2S2 but I bought the biggest one I could find.

It's not deep enough, the minimum base for a cage should be 18"x30". I too looked into making my own cage once upon a time, but never went through with it because it was very hard to find an appropriate base and all the other materials (base paint, wire grate/hardware cloth, tools, ladders/ramps, etc.) it just was not cheap at all. A lot of people have tried, but many have regretted it.

I just noticed you are in Montreal, I have a large, pretty sweet cage I have been trying to sell for a while. I will search for a pic and PM you. It may not be available right away as I just took in a pregnant female and I don't know if I'll be able to spay her in time, but in a month or two, it should be free one way or another.

People who have built cages usually find they have wasted their money.
The cages usually have too many problems and they end up buying a cage.

I made a bin cage as a temporary cage for baby rats. It works well, has room for a house, 12 inch diameter wheel, a hammock, and toys.
It does have a small second level and lots of air circulation.
But it is a major pain to clean.

If Victoria's cahe doesn't work out,
I would suggest that you watch kijiji for a good second hand cage.
40 inch long rabbit cages are good if you add a couple of homemade shelves.
If your rats are small, you may need to cover the outside of cages with wire (see habitat section for details)

You want a powder coated cage with a base that is at least 30 in by 18 in and has height for levels.
Rats need a min of 2 cubic feet of cage space per rat, more is better.
There are cage calculators on the internet that can help with this.

I'll consider buying, but I'd rather build my own if possible... I'm pretty handy, and enjoy doing it, even if it doesn't work out...

I went to see what else they had at the ikea near me and found a powder coated frame that is w35"xd22"xh56"
That seems to fit all the criteria...

Assuming I get that I need to put siding on it. I have available to me 3/4"x3/4" and 1"x1" wire siding at 18BWG. Is 18BWG too small a gauge for them? Would they hurt themselves on it? Would I need something in a heavier gauge?

Back