Bug's Porphyrin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeHale

So both my rats have/had upper respiratory infections.
Lady appears to have gotten over hers.
No more discharge from the nose/eyes.
Bug, however, is still having some from her eyes.
And she still sneezes.
Not as much, mind you, but the porphyrin from her eyes is an every day thing.
I would take her back to the vets ASAP, except for the current amount of money that I have, in all, is $6.

So I'm coming here and ratforum for help.
What do you all think?
Could she just have allergies?
Or is she getting worse?
Or just staying the same?

Things that could cause excess porphyrin: illness but then there should be other symptoms too. But any stress can do this, stress like noises, new pets, change in temperature, change in detergent, fragrances, smoke, bedding...
As well as diet. A long time ago I fed a very inadequate diet of Suebee's mix and dog food, once I changed over to a high quality block, my girl Cande's constant leaky eyes cleared up almost immediately.
So try to eliminate triggers and see if that helps.

I had this problem with my first rat (R.I.P Alice).

- Get less dusty bedding (yesterday’s news or comfey blankets (if your willing to change them everyday)).
- Get ride of any air fresheners, anything that puts off a smell …even body spray/ perfumes.
- Make sure the room that they are in isn’t dusty, vacume all floors 7 carpets, dust in, under and on everything.
- Make sure the room they are in isn’t cluttered, same goes for the cage.
- Make sure the heat stays at a consent temp (between 18 and 21
- Wash their blankets and cages/accessories with ABC detergent, apparently is helps them breath better.
- Also give a chocolate chip once every other week (it’s supposed to help with their breathing also).
- Have something for extra moisture (I put jars of water by the heaters)
- Some ratties will have porphrine for their whole lives, but doing these things will help it.
- Stress cause porphin to, so make sure there is no load noise, and don’t change their environment.
- Also if you got them in a new cage ..or just brought them home, they will sneeze for a while until they are used to smells, etc ..and also moving to a new home causes stress.
- Smoke is another thing, smoke is a no no around ratties ..even if it’s on your clothing.
- Getting a hot shower and putting them in the bathroom with you also helps clear up their breathing because of the steam.

Hope this helped :)
I would take them to the vet when you get the chance though to make sure, because it can become deadly pretty fast, so keep a good eye out.

Thanks guys!
I'm fixin' to go on a huge cleaning rampage very soon anyways, the inspector's coming monday :gaah:
And although I can't do anything about the smoke.. I do keep the door closed to my room with the window open.
(My hubby's parent's smoke, and he (hubby) has asthma.. So if he's not a big enough concern to quit smoking, my two ratties definitely aren't to them.)
I did move them into a new cage rather recently, I got them the Super Pet Multi-Floor Ferret Home Link here
as opposed to the 20-gal tank they came in.

Anyhoo, thanks for all your help!

It always baffles me when people smoke in the same home where one is suffering from lung disease.

Could Bug be getting a direct draft from the window? That could do it too.

It's possible.. Though, the parents room and my room are on opposite sides of the house.

And yeah, it makes me question her dedication to her kid's welfare. Ryan's sisters also have asthma. They're 13.
"I'll do anything for my kids, they're the most important to me!" I think not.

Even having the smell of smoke on your clothes can Irritate you ratties, when they are up with you or around you. You can really smell second hand smoke of peoples clothing.

Back