'buckyballs' DOUBLE rat life expectancy via Justine S. on fb

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the study
"At M38 all water-treated control rats were dead (Fig. 3a). This agrees with the expected lifespan of this animal species that is thirty to thirty six months. At this time 67% of olive-oil-treated rats and 100% of C60-treated rats were still alive. "

Here is my compliation of the pertinent areas of the study dealing with longevity...

Basically, it boils down to this:
They took a bunch of 10 month old male Wister rats and put them on dosages of 1.7 mg per kg of body weight - the 'medicine' consisted of .8 mg C-60 per ml of olive oil, in a suspension. They dosed the rats daily for one week, then weekly until the end of the second month, then every two weeks until the end of the 7th month. The treatment was stopped when a control rat died at 17 months old. By month 38, all of the control rats had died, but all of the C-60 rats were still alive. They estimated the balance of the C-60 rat's lives with a formula designed to do so.

The above information can be found in detail under the spoiler:

: [spoil:1jvwvnw9]From the 2012 Study results: The prolongation of the lifespan of rats by repeated oral administration of [60]

Fullerene - : Baati T, et al., The prolongation of the lifespan of rats by repeated oral administration of [60]fullerene,

Biomaterials (2012), doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.03.036

http://extremelongevity.net/wp-content/ ... lerene.pdf

Rats:
Ten-month old male rats (M10) were chosen instead of young rats as officially recommended [27], in order to avoid possible compensatory effects that can occur during early development [44]. As biodistribution studies after daily gavages showed that C60 accumulates in livers and spleens, in order to avoid the negative effects of prolonged olive oil administration such as obesity, excessive steatosis, liver lipid degeneration, and insulin resistance [45], we treated the rats daily only during 7 days and weekly during the first two months, then every two weeks until one control rat died. Our results show that while olive oil treatment can lead to an increase of 18% of lifespan of treated rats, C60-olive oil can increase it up to 90%, as compared to controls. The effects of olive-oil on health and ageing are well known [46], and its effect as a function of dose has been thoroughly discussed [45]. But, what is noteworthy is
that at M38 all C60-treated rats were still alive. Thus, based on previous investigations [44], C60 should be the most efficient ever material for extending lifespan… Pharmacokinetic studies were carried out with male Wistar rats (weighing 200e220 g). Rats were housed in individual cages and maintained in an airconditioned room (22e25
C) on a 12 h light/dark cycle with water and food available. The rats were acclimated for 7 days before treatment.

Dosage: oral administration of C60 dissolved in olive oil (0.8 mg/ml) at reiterated doses (1.7 mg/kg of body weight) to rats not only does not entail chronic toxicity but it almost doubles their lifespan. (Virgin olive oil is obtained from a Chemlali Boughrara cultivar from Tunisia planted in the Sahel area. C60 (purity 99.98%) was obtained from SES Research Corporation (USA) and used without further purification. Fifty mg of C60 were dissolved in 10 ml of olive oil by stirring for 2 weeks at ambient temperature in the dark. The resulting mixture was centrifuged at 5.000 g for 1 h and the supernatant was filtered through a Millipore filter with 0.25 mm porosity… The resulting C60-olive oil solution is purple and contains 0.80 0.02 mg/ml (n ¼ 6) as determined by HPLC [30] after appropriate dilution in the mobile phase. The chromatographic profile and the extracted spectra of these solutions are similar to those obtained with a control C60-toluene equimolar solution. The stability of both oily and control solutions stored at ambient temperature and in the dark was checked monthly during 48 months. No change was recorded under our chromatographic conditions.) …4.1. C60-olive oil solution preparation It is well known that C60 and derivatives are prone to aggregate even in their best solvents [37]. The C60-olive oil solution used in this study can be considered as free of C60 aggregates because: 1 e its colour is purple that is characteristic of C60 solutions while the colour of C60 aggregate-containing solutions are rather brown, which is true even for water-soluble derivatives [3]; 2 e it is freely
and instantaneously soluble in toluene in contrast to C60 aggregatecontaining solutions, which slowly dissolve even in the best solvents of C60. Besides, the concentrations of C60 in olive oil as determined by HPLC agree with those previously published by other authors [22]. The stability of C60-olive oil solution determined under our experimental conditions agrees with recently published result showing that the addition of [60]fullerene significantly hampers the peroxide formation thus increasing the stability of the tested oils [38]…. It is to be stressed that dissolved C60 appears hundred times more active than when it is in suspension [21]. In fact the action of soluble C60 is immediate while that of suspended C60 is delayed because it has to be dissolved to act.

Medication timeline:

The rats were housed three per cage and acclimated for 14 days, before dosing. Three groups of 6 rats (10 months old, weighing 465 31 g) were administered daily for one week, then weekly until the end of the second month and then every two weeks until the end of the 7th month, by gavages with 1 ml of water or olive oil or C60 dissolved in olive oil (0.8 mg/ml), respectively

The survival distributions for C60-olive oil-treated and control rats were estimated by the non-parametric KaplaneMeier estimator and compared by a log-rank estimated test.

These results obtained with a small sample of animals with an exploratory protocol ask for a more extensive studies to optimize the intestinal absorption of C60 as well as the different parameters of the administration protocol: dose, posology, and treatment duration. In the present case, the treatment was stopped when a control rat died at M17, which proves that the effects of the C60 treatment are long-lasting as the estimated median lifespan for C60-treated rats is 42 months. It can be thought that a longer treatment could have generated even longer lifespans.

3.3. Chronic toxicity and effects of C60 on lifespan of ratsFig. 3 shows the animal survival and growth. After five months of treatment (M15) one rat treated with water only exhibited some palpable tumours in the abdomen region. Due to the rapid development of tumours (about 4 cm of diameter) this rat died at M17. As rats are known to be sensitive to gavages, we decided to stop the treatment for all rats and to observe their behaviour and overall survival.
All remaining animals survived with no apparent sign of behavioural trouble until M25 (Fig. 3a). At the end of M25 the animals of the control groups showed signs of ulcerative dermatitis with ageing while C60-treated animals remained normal. As the growths of all surviving animals showed no significant difference until M30 (Fig. 3b) indicating that the treatment did not alter their food intake, we continued observing their survival. At M38 all water-treated control rats were dead (Fig. 3a). This agrees with the expected lifespan of this animal species that is thirty to thirty six months. At this time 67% of olive-oil-treated rats and 100% of C60-treated rats were still alive. The survival distributions for C60-olive oil-treated rats and controls were estimated by the non-parametric KaplaneMeier estimator (Fig. 3) and compared by a log-rank estimated test. The estimated median lifespan (EML) for the C60-treated rats was 42 months while the EMLs for control rats and olive oil-treated rats were 22 and 26 months, respectively. These are increases of 18 and 90% for the olive-oil and C60-treated rats, respectively, as compared to controls. The log-rank test leads to c 2 values (one degree of freedom) of 7.009, 11.302, and 10.454, when we compare water-treated and olive oil-treated rats, water-treated and C60-treated rats, and olive oil-treated and C60-treated rats, respectively. This means that olive oil extends the lifespan of rats with respect to water with a probability of 0.99 while C60-olive oil extends the lifespan of C60-treated rats with a probability of 0.999 and 0.995 with respect to water and olive oil treatments, respectively

Notes;

Significantly weaker similar effects have already been reported in several experimental models but for different hydrosoluble C60- derivatives [44,47]. The effects of C60-derivatives on ageing were attributed to the antioxidant properties and the attenuation of ageassociated increases in oxidative stress [4,44[/spoil:1jvwvnw9]

I am very optimistic about this study, and the results, although I can't help but feel that these sorts of studies are immoral and horrible.

https://sesres.com/fullerenes.asp

You wouldn't need 100 grams. In the article they made a solution using 50 mg of C-60 dissolved in 10ml olive oil (".8mg/ml") and the dosage was 1.7mg/kg of rat. The rats were each dosed a total of 7 (once every day for the 1st week)+ 7 (once per week until the end of the 2nd month) + 10 (bimonthly until the end of the 7th month) = 24 times.

If you have a one pound rat, my math says that you would need to buy 15 mg total. That is .015 grams. You could theoretically dose 67 rats with ONE gram of the C60.

Is my math right???

lilspaz68 said:
I attempted to read this study and skimmed it overall, but 2 things stood out

2.3. Chronic toxicity and effects of C60 on survival of rats
The rats were housed three per cage and acclimated for 14 days, before dosing.
Three groups of 6 rats (10months old, weighing 465  31 g) were administered daily
for one week, then weekly until the end of the second month and then every two
weeks until the end of the 7th month, by gavages with 1 ml of water or olive oil or
C60 dissolved in olive oil (0.8 mg/ml), respectively.
The rats were weighed before each dosing. Routine observations following
official recommendations [27] were made on all animals inside and outside the cage
once a day throughout the study for signs of departure from normal activity,
morbidity and mortality.

and this...

The survival distributions for C60-olive oil-treated rats and
controls were estimated by the non-parametric KaplaneMeier
estimator (Fig. 3) and compared by a log-rank estimated test. The
estimated median lifespan (EML) for the C60-treated rats was 42
months while the EMLs for control rats and olive oil-treated rats
were 22 and 26 months, respectively.
These are increases of 18 and
90% for the olive-oil and C60-treated rats, respectively, as compared
to controls.
The log-rank test leads to c2 values (one degree of freedom) of
7.009, 11.302, and 10.454, when we compare water-treated and
olive oil-treated rats, water-treated and C60-treated rats, and olive
oil-treated and C60-treated rats, respectively. This means that olive
oil extends the lifespan of rats with respect to water with a probability
of 0.99 while C60-olive oil extends the lifespan of C60-treated
rats with a probability of 0.999 and 0.995 with respect towater and
olive oil treatments, respectively

Sooo these rats only lived to 17 months and all the rest is ALL estimated ages. As we know in the more uncontrolled environment of pet rats there are TOO many factors for these to be in any way accurate for our ratters.
I know you said you only skimmed it, but if you have a look at ratkin412's comments she quotes more of the study that shows that 1 of the rats died at the end of that 7 months of treatment 17 months old) & then they stopped - the rest lived much longer!
And I believe they did the estimations prior to the end of the study where they knew exactly how long each rat lived... They'd have to include it in there but it doesn't mean they didn't also note how long each lived. I guess some lived way past 3 years old. Impressive imo.
But I do agree that there are more uncertainties outside of a lab setting...

I asked my son to read it. He will be graduating biochem in a month.
He told me that it's quite premature for us to go out and buy industrial ball bearings to feed to our rats.
The study is small and needs many more studies to back it up. Also, he says they need to wait for those rats to reach the age they estimate. Which probably won't happen because they were most likely culled. Using mathematical equations to estimate the probable age is normal and used all the time and it's very accurate. But we will need years before we know the true effects.

Aida said:
I don't know. I mean, they had to estimate it in the study report- do you want to skim through a chart of every rat and exactly how long it lived, to the last day?

Yes.

I want to know exactly how long each rat in the study lived, what health issues each encountered over the course of their lives, what treatment each receive for these issues (likely none), what each died from, their weights, what food they ate, what side effects these rats endured, quality of life issues such as social interaction, activity level, cognitive ability, aggression, etc
Since these were lab rats in a controlled environment, I would assume that none had myco or many other real world health issues.
Note that these rats had a much longer average life span to start with (thirty to thirty six months), then pet rats now have.

Since these rats had an average expected life span of 30 to 36 months, living to an estimated life span of 42 months is not doubling their life span. Actually, with an average life span of 30 to 36 months, you would expect a few to live to 42 months.

I wonder why the rats in the control group had such a shortened life span .... if nothing was affecting them, they should have lived an average of 30 to 36 months as is normal for their type of rat. What caused those poor rats to have abnormally shortened lives? Whatever was done certainly inflated the estimated C-60 results.

The reported results are interesting but may have little or no value in a real world context on rats ... or humans.
I wonder if this treatment has any impact on rats with myco ..... of course we will never know since these experiments are about finding a human supplement in order to reap huge profits.

Any study needs replication. I wish that someone would replicate just the part about the effect of C60 vs olive oil on longevity. The problem with current research is the pressure to publish quickly. Most interesting lines of work take time. I would like to have known about each rat's cause of death and some details about their weight, activity level and social interaction.

If the average lifespan of a lab rat is 30-36 months it makes you realize how much difference Myco and careless breeding makes.

Would be very good to know if fullerene is still being investigated. A lot depends on patentibility. There may be a lot of unpublished work going on if there ae applications to human lifespan.

The cause of death of each rat is of no consequence to them unless it was due to the C-60. Most likely, those rats never reached their full potential lifespan and all were culled at a young age to investigate the effects if any on the rat. And like crumbilina has mentioned, so many of these studies are doctored. It's nothing for a researcher, a co-author to change the numbers a bit to make things go in their favour especially if they are getting big funding for it to go one way or the other. In this case however, they were not looking for longevity, they were looking for toxicity. Which is why now, they need to make a study specific to longevity.

:sad3:

It sounds like you hope more of these studies will be done .... thus causing more animals to die horribly, painfully, in great suffering, their lives stolen by scientific research.
People will continue to do horrible, cruel things to animals in the name of science

The ends do not justify the means

SQ said:
:sad3:

It sounds like you hope that more animals have their lives stolen by scientific research.
It sounds like you hope other animals will die horribly, painfully, in great suffering for the cause of bad science?

People will continue to do horrible, cruel things to animals
but to look forward to this happening is sickening :sick2:

The ends do not justify the means
Who did you address this comment to SQ? I really don't think anyone here hopes for that.

Animal testing is something that is always going to happen and something that is VERY regulated. Ethics boards are there for more then just research done on humans/human cells. They are there for animal studies too.
We have come a VERY long way in medicine because of these animals, both in human medicine and in animal medicine. We still have a long way to go if treatments are wanted for some of the very nasty diseases out there.

IF this were animal testing on some stupid cosmetic, I would agree with you 100% SQ.

ETA: I don't want to start an argument/debate about this... just wanted to point out that it is something that is imporant for medical advancements and acknowledge that yes, it does happen but happens under regulations.

I am aware it happens, and that it is regulated.
After research which included discussing this with people who have been involved animal research I am also aware of the horrible suffering animals such as rats go through.
The use of animals in medical research is bad science .... drug (etc) effects or lack of effects on animals does not necessarily transfer to people.
Even if it did, the ends do not justify the means.

People who care about rats may not be able to stop this form of animal cruelty,
but it literally makes me sick to my stomach that they would want more research to occur.

The point is, more research needs to be done before people spread this news like it's a done deal, longevity in rats with buckyballs. We are not saying there should be more research.
It is what it is and this is certainly not the place for this kind of debate.
Lets stay on topic.

I also want to reiterate what crumbilina has said, animal tested is very regulated and must also meet ethical standards.

very interesting research!
but... would you give it to your rats?? i mean, every medicin has side affects, what about this product?
what will the side effects be long term?

Back