Bruxing, quick question!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

Do rats brux exclusively when they're happy/excited?

I feel like they brux for other reasons as well. Example: I took Luffy out today to go into the bonding pouch. At first, he was vibrating which I think is a sign of nervousness. Then later he was bruxing. Could it be nervous bruxing?

Then later they were both out and both running around, bruxing. That, I interpreted as a happy/excited bruxing.

I mean, is it possible it means more than just them being happy?

I believe rats brux for reasons other than happiness.. I just looked it up and read about a not so nice study, but they concluded that rats brux during times of emotional stress, so nervousness, fear etc. One of my boys also bruxed a lot when he was recovering from a URI, so I think it can act as a sort of comfort to them... Looks like this can also be applied to humans that grind their teeth during times of stress.

That's what I thought, at least from reading his body language. He can be difficult to read though because one moment he's crawling all around me and the next he's frightened. But, I can definitely tell when he's bruxing because he's happy. Simon bruxxed for the first time today too! Then they started doing it together, it was adorable.

It's the same as dogs who wag their tail during stress. It often means they're happy but in general it's their way of relieving energy. That can be good energy, stressful energy, in pain, etc.

Back