Bruxing...Just learning at 2

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkittygirl

Haven't been on the Shack for quite a long time...been really busy with life and ratty's and living....lol
Anyway, I rescued two rats from Chelle in Guelph in Jan of 2012 that were almost a year old each. Simon and Jack to be exact! What a pair of miserable guys...lol Couldn't really handle them too much. Simon bit me to the bone so many times I lost count and Jack would scream like a girl every time I picked him up..so I stopped trying and decided to give them the best life I could considering the barriers they put up. We've been getting along fine actually and in their old age, they've decided I'm not so bad after all. I can put them to play while I clean the cage and nobody bites or screams, yippeee! Progress for the time we have left.
Well, I came into the rat room with a treat for them and the younger boys below and guess what?! For the first time since I've had them they both started bruxing at me and looking like they wanted to be petted. So I did and it was great and they loved their treat. It's a real milestone.
Question is, my younger boys, just a year now, that I've had since babies, don't brux either. (I can pick em up and play with em though) What is up with that? My first rat, Nutsy, bruxed alot, so I loved hearing it, cuz he loved his mommy. Is this normal for the young ones that maybe never heard bruxing? Just curious...
Love the Shack
Bev

Welcome back.

Its sad that some uppity boys don't realy come around to their people until their golden years.. keep showing them loveee.

Most of my youngsters simply don't have time to be loved on and brux. they're just too busy with life.

Wow, that must have been quite a magical moment for you with the old bity boys.

I don't think all rats will brux and I really don't think that's indicative of anything really.

Well first it was magical and second thank god it isn't indicative of anything I was doing wrong...phew! I will just love and care for them until....well you know what I mean. Thanks for the insight guys, it puts my mind at rest.
Bev

Well folks my sweet biter, Simon passed away in his sleep and I found him yesterday morning. It was quite a shock cuz he was healthy as all get out. At least there were no signs of illness. Jack was all cuddled up to him in their sleeping box. When they didn't come for treats I checked to see why and discovered Jack protecting his buddy. I am so sad for him. He did look peaceful though and not in distress, so I assume it was his heart or something of that nature. I'll miss his big face at the cage waiting for his treats in the morning. I'm sure Jack will be really lonely. I may have to intro him to the two younger boys. Don't know yet. Any thoughts?

Simon.jpg

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Simon was such a handsome boy.
It could have been his heart or a stroke, we'll never know, he went in a good way.

Back