Brothers fighting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littles

Okie so I know this is said to be common when introducing rats or young rats or rat groups of 3 or more but I cannot find any thread that was specific to my needs, so I decided to start one I apologize if there is one and I did not see it.

Pretty much I've had my little ones for maybe 10 months, they are both 1 year old now and have been living together since they were tiny little babies. Recently they started fighting more and more outside of the cage, and even more recently inside the cage. They have a 2 floor FN cage so i don't think they are going stir crazy lots of toys and hiding places. They get to come out in the morning and night. I know the saying is "no blood no worry", but I recently noticed a large scab on Rolo (the smaller one) and last time they fought fur flew! Fin (his bro in question) will even get puffy sometimes when they fight.

So in my experience that is bad! I have read that sometimes feeling like they are not getting enough food can bring on this behaviour? I am going to start feeding them in the morning and at night I don't like the idea of leaving a bowl of food in the cage. As much as they get to run around I also don't want them to start eating because they are bored.

The mornings are always better they still sleep together but the evenings they are just at it. For now I have decided to separate them in the evenings and let them cuddle in the day. I have also started feeding them from separate bowls and added more food to their daily diet to see if that helps.

Ne thoughts or suggestions I'm pretty close to just snipping Fin but I'd rather not put him through that.

It's really quite normal. Rats will squabble. Then they settle down for a while and squabble again. It's all part of living together and being in a colony.
I would also free feed them blocks.
If you can afford a neuter and have a great vet, I'd get them done. Removing all hormonal stress is hugely beneficial to them.

My rexzilla monsters are super hormonal. Another gash on one last night. My young boys are rather hyper and fights to. If they draw blood, bite me, gash the others, they get neutered. No questions asked. Just because it doesnt seem to stop. I have waited a long time for my boys to stop biting. Now i am neutering them :)

Back