broken foot?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyenneobvious

our new adopted rat needs some serious TLC for sure, so we have devoted all day to her.
i have a question for you guys..
how would i know her foot is broken? i mean, i know if she doesnt walk on it/limps ect. but what if she drags it and SOMETIMES walks on it?

yes, this picture is a re-post but just to show you guys, this is on the foot that she is limping on
1grkso.jpg

when she walks she will either walk with the rest of her feet and drag that one, or she will try and pull it up to her body and walk on it which usually leads to her dragging behind her

whatever is wrong with her, its been wrong for awhile :(
she looks like she has been in pain for too long.

**note; she is old, like 2 or more years**

should i take her to the vet? is she going to be okay? :(

Looks like she's got bumblefoot. I don't think she'd walk on it ever if it were broken. I'd get her on Baytril and pad her cage so there's no solid levels, also keep it very clean.

She has HED (hind end degeneration) which is more prevalent in males but sadly in Ontario the girls are getting it as well. It affects older rats and they slowly lose the mobility in their hind end/feet. Its not considered painful and rats cope very well with this. Its' just part of age for some rats.

Back