boys up for adoption- havebeenadopted- depressed ):

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's their urine. They scent mark more often, and their urine is more potent not to mention the buck grease. I have one neutered boy who so soft, he feels like a girlie.

Marylou said:
trexgorawrrrrr said:
i was just thinking...

does anyone have anything professional or like does anyone know of any articles that could maybe sway my mom into giving me some time.

i feel like going behind her back, having them neutered, and just trying to PROVE that i'll get better if they're neutered. :wallbang: i just don't know what to do.
Well, I guess you seem to forget that you are living in your mothers home and you really can't do anything about this, if you go behind her back, you are defying your mother.

I still don't get this whole thing that males are more hyper allergenic than females, What is the reason???? Urine????

Also maybe the buck grease?

Oh man I am so sorry :( If I was closer I would take one or two but I am WAY far away , good luck though and if you do have to get rid of them , don't be afraid to be picky!

BTW how old are you ? If you are over 18 and still at your moms ( I was at 18) The maybe you would have a little more say in if you keep them and all. )

Unaltered males have about 300 times more RUA (Rat Urinary Antigen) in their urine than do females. It makes a huge difference to someone who is allergic.

You might want to google those terms; that's how I found the articles.

Another thing to ask your mom to consider, if you have had the flu or a respiratory infection over the fall: for some reason a lot of people have had a temporary increase in allergic reactions over the last few months. I had been doing fine until I had the flu in November, closely followed by a cold. By Christmas time my allergies to dogs (not normally a big deal) were really bad, so that I had to take antihistamines in addition to my regular puffer meds when staying at friends' who had a dog.

I got a good rest over the holidays, catching up on sleep, and I now have much lower reactions to everything.

Godmother said:
Unaltered males have about 300 times more RUA (Rat Urinary Antigen) in their urine than do females. It makes a huge difference to someone who is allergic.

You might want to google those terms; that's how I found the articles.

Another thing to ask your mom to consider, if you have had the flu or a respiratory infection over the fall: for some reason a lot of people have had a temporary increase in allergic reactions over the last few months. I had been doing fine until I had the flu in November, closely followed by a cold. By Christmas time my allergies to dogs (not normally a big deal) were really bad, so that I had to take antihistamines in addition to my regular puffer meds when staying at friends' who had a dog.

I got a good rest over the holidays, catching up on sleep, and I now have much lower reactions to everything.
Well that makes sense, is this normally with younger people? 20ish, Some of the students we have at work(I work in a Rat Lab) tend to be more allergic to the rats, than older people, 40ish and up???
Using gloves to clean and even hold the rats would reduce the problem, as well as keeping them away from your face.
Most parents that want kids to get rid of rats are set in stone. There is usually no changing their minds.
If I was breeding, or rescuing rats, I would NEVER place a rat in a home that everyone especially the parents weren't keen on rats to begin with. I can't believe how many stories I hear of parents not liking the rats, they end up in a bedroom with NO air flow and the place stinks, and the next thing, OUT WITH THE RATS...

I am so sorry for you :hugs:

If I was you I would go get them neutered, it's worth a try. Like you said you prob could get them neutered faster than finding them homes. There your babies, you deserve to at least try. I know if my mother ever did that to me, I wouldent be talking to her anymore ..it's just like if someone took you and your siblings away from her when you were babies. Your her child, and your boys are your children.

I wish you the best of luck <3

I had a response on GM of someone who is interested in adopting your boys. I reminded them to contact you. Hope you hear from them. They are in Chicago.

well i'm 20 years old, almost 21 full time student with a part time job. so i cannot afford to move out yet. supposed to hopefully be moving out this summer! after this semester... because then i will have my associates in science and my associates in arts! :happydance: so hopefully i will be transfering to illinois state university... and be living in a town an hour away in my own apartment... but until then i am under my mom's roof. and the thing is that she let me get them, and was OK with it. not thrilled, but not angry. but i've been sick since i got them, and then i was coughing up blood. so even though she's being hardheaded about me finding them a new home. i sort of understand. not that i have to like it. because as rattymomma said, i'm her baby, but they're mine. i'm a firm believer of when you get a pet, it's yours to take care of and love on until that pet takes its last breath. so it's difficult. especially since i've bonded and loved on them everyday for the last 6 months. they were my first baby rats that i ever had and such lovers. kisses constantly. they're just really sweet boys.

buttt that's very exciting news. i thought that finding them a home would be difficult. i also talked to ratsby (val) who is a forum member. she's interested, but not sure yet. she might be moving across the country! sooo. not to sure. i also had someone respond to me from craigslist. although i have not asked any questions yet to the GM or craigslist responder... i hope something here ends up working out. we will see

a big thank you to eagle, because the person who posted on GM is going to be taking my boys.

although it's a sad but happy thing that they found a new great home. she's an experienced rat owner, which is what i was looking for... she has a FN, they eat oxbow regal rat along with veggies and friut, has a thing for PEWS since her first rat was a PEW, was questioning me about them and their health along with their temperment, she also gave me the number and name of her vet. i asked a lot of questions, and she happily answered all of them... along with asking me a few as well. i really feel like they'll be going to a good home with Pam. it's just still going to be hard for me to let them go. :sad3: she's taking them sunday, which she said she could come sooner... but i told her that sunday is soon enough for me because i want to be able to spend a little time with them. i love my little men, i'm glad they'll be going into a good home. and i'm glad she'll be keeping contact.

i already know i'm going to be a hot mess when she comes to get them.. i'll probably be crying all over the place.

Sounds like you've found the best possible new home for them, and I'm sure she'll happily update you :) But I am very sorry you have to do this.

i did talk to her on the phone last night for quite a while. i honestly think they'll be going into a wonderful home. she actually often volunteers for hurron valley rat rescue! i think that one of our members on here runs that? but she often transports ratties for her to homes. she's actually driving 4 hours total round trip to get them. i told her i would be willing to meet her halfway, but she said she'd rather come all the way because a lot of her family grew up here. and they just want to go for a little drive...

...but on the other hand, this is my last night with them. i know i will miss them so. :sad3: :rathugz: i gotta give my boys lots of love and hugs before they go. hopefully i'll be able to hold myself together in front of her because i know just thinking about it makes me cry right now.

Sorry to hear that you have to give up your little ratties :( I could see how difficult that would be, they are such great little pets! It sounds like they are going to a great home!

Just a question about your allergies. I'm not sure if this had been mentioned in the allergies section, but have you tried a HEPA filter beside the cage? My boyfriend who I live with has TERRIBLE allergies (not sure if it is as bad as yours) and the HEPA filter seems to help quite a lot (although I only have girls, no boys). I dunno if you have tried it, but it may help...

Anyway,
Enjoy your night with your boys! They are so beautiful/handsome!

Just out of curiosity...have you been tested by an allergist to see exactly what you are allergic too? The one where they inject you with tons of things so you know what reacts?

A lot of doctors hear "rats" and jump to the conclusion that the evil evil rats HAVE to be a problem, ignoring what might actually be the cause...

Just a thought...I have been tested twice and I am allergic to cats, dogs, dust, mold, pollen, feathers, mangoes, and trees...so I've been there...

Catherine

i know that i was allergic to them. and i did not have any tests. after keeping rats for so long, you know whether or not you're allergic. i had my two girls for an entire year, and about a week after i got my boys is when my problems started. when they would crawl on me they would leave welts on my arms and neck. my nose would be running constantly, i would just be sitting there and it would be dripping out, my eyes watered when i played with them. i had to bascially shower after playtime. i normally would make playtime anywhere from 8-10pm, take my shower, and then go to bed.

and the thing with the air purifier... i never got a chance to get one. i was planning on getting one, and getting them neutered. but i started coughing up blood not last week, but the week before, and my mom basically told me i needed to find them a new home asap. so, at that point. i really had no choice. if i would have lived in my own place i would have been keeping them until i could get them neutered, and they deffinately wouldn't have had to stay in my room... but it's not my house, so even though i'm almost 21 i still have to follow moms. i was planning on getting them neutered anyway, but a home came along so quickly that it didn't happen. i thought it would take a lot longer than 24 hours to get a responce, which is what basically happened.

Yeah, when your living with your parents, really what they say goes. It is probably better for YOUR health to give them up, even though its hard to give. Your mom is just looking out for you!

You should still consider an air purifier for your girl(s). They help immensely! I can't believe the difference between when it is off and when it is on.

it was hard... because as someone said earlier in the thread i'm her baby, but they were mine. i'm more at ease knowing they went to a wonderful home, and also knowiing i will be getting updates puts me at ease.

and i think i am still going to get a purifier! my boyfriend is also allergic. not as bad as i was, but he still is a little too. my mom also smokes. she smokes underneath the vent in the kitchen since it sucks up the smoke... but i still would like to get one either way. for my health, my boyfriends, and for my rats.

the one that you have, i've heard it before in the allergy thread. but i was wondering where you got yours from? i'd like to get one of those because that's the kind that others were recommending.

If your mother is smoking inside the house chances are your allergy is to the smoke and had nothing at all to do with the rats, and this is coming from a fairly new non-smoker. Of course your mother will deny this, true smokers always do. :(

Back