Boys meet Girls ...We have a bully...family pic added

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jems71

Its been 3weeks since the young boys were neutered...
So started intros all girls and boys out together, all was going well the boys seemed very interested in Zoey...
and for the first time since we got Zoey and C-C, 2 -1/2 weeks ago...Zoey and Diamond started fighting during out time...Diamond got all hunched up and stalked Zoey...Zoey got all puffy...they started huffing and puffin at each other...I think Diamond was the instigator...but it almost insighted a riot...the young ones were going to join in...I am hoping to have them all moved into the dbl CN soon now that boys are ready, but diamond ended up with a nice little cut on her side/hip area...why did they deside to start fighting now they are out together almost every night for at least 30mins...only diff was the boys were there too...?

Also the boys seemed to be interested in the girls like they might want to mate it was like they were trying to mount the girls...and they don't even do this to each other...is this normal for such young boys that were neutered at a young age (neuter done at approx 9-10weeks old)?

They might be mounting the girls just to show dominance not necessarily for sex. I have a cage here with 3 neutered boys and a spayed girl. The younger boys (12 months) are still mounting the girl but she kicks them away.

I've noticed during intros it changes the dynamics of the colony and they do have scuffles between each other. I would take it slower with the intros.

over the past 2 weeks the girls have not scuffled...so I assume the boys in the mix made things change...I expected the girls and boys to possible have issues...but girls that have been intro'd and not having issues for 2 weeks surprised me...

Your girls are fighting for the best boy. lol
It's all normal and it will settle down again when everyone is in the colony.
It also is quite possible that the boys are thinking they may get it on with the girls especially if the girls are in heat or giving off the "ready" signal. It's like they know they need to fulfill a need but not quite sure how to follow up.

Everyone is doing much better today been out a cpl times together in their new big dbl CN...I have not moved them into it officially its more just a get to know you place then back into their own cages...
There was a bit of puffy scuffles this morning. But this afternoons out time I dabbed some vanilla on each of their butts and it seemed to work like a charm...everyone is getting along great...a few pinnings but thats to be expected...they have been in the Dbl CN for about an hour the two older girls have curled up together.
Jasper and Lucy are sleeping in a tube together, Diamond and Peanut are in an other tube napping...Blossom, Cookie and Zoey are just playing around exploring and chillin' out burrying stuff in the new BIG litter pan.
I am tempted to leave them all in there and make the move once and for all...since everyone is napping or playing with a new friend and settled..but I am not sure if its a good idea...
Any thoughts?

:joy: they have been in the DBL CN most of the day I have been in the room with them 80-90% of the time...they just had supper together...and everyone is doing very well... :dance:
I have heard a few squeeks but nothing terrible, I think these were more squeeks from grooming too much...only had a cpl more pinnings but really its been great...I think I will sleep in this room tonight and leave them there. Here's hopin' the night goes well.

The two Older Girls Ellie and C-C always seem to seek each other out to sleep together...and this is the first time I have seen Ellie sleeping relaxed...sprawled out on her side with C-C laying her head on Ellie's side...was sweet once I made sure Ellie was not dead!
The Boys are taking turns napping with the girls...poor little dudes...2 boys and 7 girls...I don't think there is enough boy to go around...

:joy: Its morning and we made it through the night! :joy:
Only heard a few minor toussles and these could very well have been some playing...the young boys wrestle a lot...taking turns to chase and pin each other they are tooo cute!

And there will be pics today...since I HAD to get good batteries for my camera...oldest daughter graduated this past week, I was warned not to slack on the camera batteries!

I checked everyone over this morning, they all look good Diamond has a few new scratches but nothing deep...poor skin kids always looking a mess.

I think C-C is taking over the role of mother. Which I think is making Ellie very happy...they tend to be together a lot...maybe C-C reminds Ellie of her Momma Altana who passed a few months ago. They are the older two of the colony so I think their energies better match each other...

Off to make a special breakfast for the crew, as the Boys Jack and Sawyer are leaving us today and going to Godmothers :sad3: We will miss them!
I am thinking oatmeal with fresh blue berries with a side of scrambled eggs for breakfast today...

That's great they're all together now! Godmothers going to have some of the sweetest rats on her hands soon. Jack and Sawyer are the most cuddly attention hogs ever lol Thanks for looking after them!

lindsayfawn said:
That's great they're all together now! Godmothers going to have some of the sweetest rats on her hands soon. Jack and Sawyer are the most cuddly attention hogs ever lol Thanks for looking after them!

Our pleasure and thank you for allowing us to have this experience...its been great and they are attention hogs arn't they... :giggle:

Back