Boy Problems

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callie<3

I have a problem to me this is a big problem but to some it might not be.
Well where to start Hubby brought home Owen hes a great rat... We love him dearly and wanted the best for him so after the check up with the vet we decided to get him a friend. We've tried many things that we've saw on the form for intro's but nothing seems to work we keep restarting at level one. The most progress we've had is we put them in the bathtub with baby food so they have to be together eat. Everything went so well i was impressed so i ended it on a good note the next day did the same thing it went so well they even cuddled they had been sleeping next to eachother in the bath tub for awhile no problems nothing and i was watching them . Then out of the blue Owen my little trouble maker wakes up and bites Elliot and draws blood :gaah: This completely freaked me out as I don't do well with blood :sick2: . So I thought maybe it was just a bad day so i continued the next day that didn't go well either :wallbang: and its not Elliot its always Owen and its not play fighting its to hurt. I talked to my vet today about getting mr Owen Neutered figuring it might be our best option. My vet feels that It would be a bad decision to neuter Owen because Owen is older then I thought(didn't no his real age to start with as he was found at hubbies old job) He has really slowed down a lot in the past couple of weeks the vet says its due to old age.I'm not sure what to do on this one so any advice We would be grateful. I was thinking maybe get Elliot a friend his own age as he is still a baby intro's would maybe work better as he doesn't start any of the fights ? and maybe try a spayed female with Owen ? or should I just leave Owen on his own ? Not sure to do. Hoping for some help on this. Thanks

Elliot a few weeks ago
elliot3.jpg

Owen a few weeks ago
owenmine.jpg

is raising humain boys this hard to ? :giggle:

My Radar came to me at almost 2 years old... he was neutered because he was crazy angry with males. It worked great, fast recovery too.
I've had several rats go through surgery at 2 years of age and even at 3 years of age.
It's too bad your vet talked you out of it.

How old is Elliot? Where does Owen bite Elliot?

elliots i gusse 4 months.
and he bites him wherever he can get a hold of.
i think im gonna check on owen over the next month and see if he gets better
like i said hes really slowed down in the last few weeks. could it be hes just stuck in his own way and use to living on his own ?

What you could do is have the boys live next to each other and once a week or every two weeks, try an intro again. Sometimes timing is all it takes.

Back