Bordom breaking

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd definitely go with coroplast, much cheaper and works just as well. The only difference is the martin's has a "top". But if you add Patrick's cage in the coral, he may not try to escape and just enjoy his out time with you.

LA, you bet the rats can climb the playpen which is why you need the top and why I would prefer a coroplast so that they can't easily scale up.

Not to Jack the thread, this is the problem we had, our other rats way of thinking is cage time is rat time, outtime is people time. Hazel gets especially mad if we leave them alone, she wants to climb on us and lick us and love us. So we needed something that was rat climb proof but allowed us to be in there. The other rats couldn't care less about getting out, Willow does. Pink my girl as well can jump that high.

LA said:
Ryelle I somewhat feel your pain. I have a Willow and she basically equals 3 rats. Fortunately with buddies she's fine in the cage unless she's trying to get your attention in which she goes up and down and all around saying 'here I am, take me out'. She's exhausting but she's fun. We have an enclosure we made from a fridge box I got at a local appliance store. It was free so if you are able to get that try that. However everything to Willow is a challenge, INCLUDING getting out of the enclosure. She figures it out, she jumps odd angles etc etc. We have now let her free range in which she's pretty good in our livingroom until she decides to pester the other cage. I admit this girl is a lot of work but I wouldn't give her up for the world.

As for the Martins Play Pen, can't rats climb that? I like the cardboard or cholorplast idea because they can't climb it at all.

Good Luck!
They can climb the martins play pen but can't get out because it has a lid on it.......
I love mine....I use it for an outdoor playpen....very safe.
Picture2199.jpg

Wow it looks good outside. Is that just one playpen or two joined together?

---
Edit: I just looked on the Martins website and they do ship internationally BUT for the large $70.00 playpen..

Order Subtotal: $70.00 (UK Pound: £46.95)
Shipping summary
Box 1: 50.00 lbs. Shipping: $176.50
Click here to change shipping options.
Pennsylvania deliveries subject to $14.91 sales tax.
Shipping weight: 50.00
Shipping cost is estimated.
Orders will be confirmed via email.

USPS Priority Mail International [GB ts23 ***] Shipping: $176.50 (UK pound: £118.38)
Insurance: $2.00 (UK Pound: £1.34)
Grand Total: $248.50 (UK Pound: £166.679)

---
I'd be paying almost 3x the price just for shipping.

Kind of unrealistic prices. I've seen nothing like this in the UK yet. Ill do some hunting, but if anyone knows of anything can you let me know please :)

ryelle said:
Wow it looks good outside. Is that just one playpen or two joined together?

---
Edit: I just looked on the Martins website and they do ship internationally BUT for the large $70.00 playpen..

Order Subtotal: $70.00 (UK Pound: £46.95)
Shipping summary
Box 1: 50.00 lbs. Shipping: $176.50
Click here to change shipping options.
Pennsylvania deliveries subject to $14.91 sales tax.
Shipping weight: 50.00
Shipping cost is estimated.
Orders will be confirmed via email.

USPS Priority Mail International [GB ts23 ***] Shipping: $176.50 (UK pound: £118.38)
Insurance: $2.00 (UK Pound: £1.34)
Grand Total: $248.50 (UK Pound: £166.679)

---
I'd be paying almost 3x the price just for shipping.

Kind of unrealistic prices. I've seen nothing like this in the UK yet. Ill do some hunting, but if anyone knows of anything can you let me know please :)

That is the large martins playpen.
It is a great investment!! It is great to keep escapes contained when you are busy cage cleaning or to give them a change when you have a pet sitter/babysitter who isn't comfortable with trying to catch free :gaah: rangers to put them back into their cage. Or when you need to take the ratties with yiu for a few days.

The martins playpen also provides the ratties with a different experience ... they can climb the sides to corner perches, hammocks and tubes or snakes can be hung, etc.

My rats love their free range time with me. They also live play time in their large martins playpen. :thumbup:

Looks great Dahlas .... my ratties want to visit you this summer :nod:

I didn't realize you lived in the UK so Martins is unrealistic. I'm in the same boat here in Alaska, shipping anything martins would cost double the price of the item. It was a very exciting day when I found out Amazon would ship the ferret nation for free (they're 360 locally, 180 on Amazon).

How tall does chloroplast get? I couldn't imagine any chloroplast enclosure keeping my old Scrambles in (the girl that no enclosure could contain). But, if you think it would work for your boy, you can cut slits a little over half way up each end of each panel. They can then be securely attached by just pushing the slits from each end together, forming a large circle. You could use more chloroplast to cover half of it so you only have to monitor the other half for his escape. Or you could make a lid using hardware cloth (or something similar) so you could see in it, and easily lift it up to interact with him. This could very quickly be disassembled and stored flat when not in use, since space is a priority.

Pink

You can buy chloroplast in various sizes.
It is often sold in 8 ft by 4 ft sheets. Easy to cut to the size you want if you do not want it 4 feet high or 8 feet high. Attach the sheets together using cable ties or stick on velcro.

Back