Book Recommendations?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsForever

Hello!

I've been looking for books on understanding dog behaviour, how to care for dogs, and how to train dogs but there are so many choices out there that I'm having difficulty in pickings books. Can anyone recommend some good dog books? Thanks!

Linda

Stanley Coren has some great books on dog behavior, and understanding dogs. How to Speak Dog is one in particular and is devoted to reading dog body language and focuses very specifically on the body parts.

How Dogs Think is great too.

I saw Dr Sophia Yin talk at the recent PABA seminar in Guelph. She was great, and has some good books. I've heard good things about How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves:
http://www.nerdbook.com/html/other_products.html

I LOVE The Dog Bible for everything else. It covers basic health, different breeds, grooming basics, careers with dogs, canine history, activities you can do... . So much. It is HUGE and has recently been updated. Do not confuse it with the other The Dog Bible, LOL.

http://www.amazon.ca/Original-Dog-Bible ... 400&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favourites (for dogs, pets, boyfriends, even ourselves!) is called Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor. It explains the principles of behaviour change in very entertaining and understandable ways. The author is an experienced animal trainer who now trains the trainers.

Godmother said:
One of my favourites (for dogs, pets, boyfriends, even ourselves!) is called Don't Shoot the Dog, by Karen Pryor. It explains the principles of behaviour change in very entertaining and understandable ways. The author is an experienced animal trainer who now trains the trainers.

One of my favorites as well......

I am a fan of Cesar Millan. His training methods worked my my shepherd. Thought I would have to put him down until i read his book.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! There are so many choices out there that I have no idea where to begin.

I've also heard of Patricia McConnel who wrote "The Other End of my Leash" but haven't come across any reviews yet.

Cheers

Godmother said:
Now the dilemma, to find a small dog who doesn't love rats for breakfast!!

Bichon Frisé, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Papillon, what you want to look for is a dog with out much prey drive.......

Dahlas said:
Bichon Frisé, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Papillon, what you want to look for is a dog with out much prey drive.......

I intend to adopt a dog from a shelter so it will be difficult to predict whether or not they have a strong prey drive, since most shelter dogs are mixed breeds.

Maybe a dog that was fostered with small animals could be one to go for :)

You could also go the breed specific rescue route, where dogs are always in foster homes.

RatsForever said:
Dahlas said:

I intend to adopt a dog from a shelter so it will be difficult to predict whether or not they have a strong prey drive, since most shelter dogs are mixed breeds.

Wonderful to adopt from a shelter :thumbup: .........a good shelter should be able to help you determine if the dog has high prey drive....if the dog is very focused on movement...any movement, likes to chase everything is a very intense way...not happy loose running after things. If there are small animals or even cats in cages watch how the dog reacts to them........one that looks and then looks away or is easily distracted is better then one who looks like a starving man looking at a big meal......

RatsForever said:
Dahlas said:

If you see a dog you like ask the shelter staff a) if the dog gets along with other animals and b) if you could let the dog meet a small animal that is also at the shelter. That's not an unreasonable request. It should be just as important to the shelter staff as it is to you that your new dog get along with all other family members. No one want to see the dog get sent back!

MumsyRat said:
RatsForever said:
Dahlas said:

If you see a dog you like ask the shelter staff a) if the dog gets along with other animals and b) if you could let the dog meet a small animal that is also at the shelter. That's not an unreasonable request. It should be just as important to the shelter staff as it is to you that your new dog get along with all other family members. No one want to see the dog get sent back!

Great suggestions! The last thing I want is something to happen to my beloved rats!

Back