Boggle? Why not?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

I hear alot of talk about boggle. I have yet to see my girls do that...why not? Do ALL rats do it? My girls are spoiled and seem very happy, which sounds like to me that is when most rats do this, yes? Mine never has. I was just wondering.

:sad3: I want to see one of my girls do that, its cute.

Just wondered.

I honestly thought I was a terrible rat mother because I never saw a boggle either. Then one day, a few weeks ago, I caught one of mine boggling away. This is after 7 years of rat ownership, haha. The point is, don't stress if you don't see it. ;)

Most of mine do it now. With Ruby it's very rare, I have only seen her do it once in the year of her life. Olivia and Pearl are always doing it. Lily not so much. She's the brux girl but not boggle.

Until recently my boyfriend hadn't seen any of our rats boggle either. I had seen it a handful of times but not enough to be able to brag about. Anyhow, I was holding Willow in my hands a couple of weeks ago and she started bruxing, so I called Asa (my boyfriend) over and told him to watch. I kept massaging her forhead and cheek with my fingers while I was holding her and she started bruxing harder then she did it! She boggled for both of us to see! It was WONDERFUL!

Baby Girl is a big time boggler, but only if she thinks no one is watching.
Brenna hasn't boggled for us yet (that we've seen).
Emma is a sometimes boggler, but I don't know if she knows she's doing it, LOL!
The boys: forget about it, LOL! Haven't seen anything from them, they barely brux for us!!

Thanks all....I just want to see it thats all! haha. Its cute. So...bruxing, what is that exactly? I thought that was where they wrestle and play or fling around when you play with them? Right? Or not? :doh: Thanks!

I had no idea they do it when they're nervous. :shock: Well that makes a little more sense thinking back on a few experiences.

Oh ok thanks...well mine brux all the time when they are out playing, must be because they are happy..if I lay down on the floor they come running up tome and climb all over me and grind their teeth....it's cute. I didnt know it was called that. haha. :D

The stress/pain bruxing is usually louder and much more tense. The rat won't have their eyes half-closed, but wide open, their body and ears are tense...once you have heard it, you will realize the difference.

Hmmm, all of mine boggle! In fact I've never had a rat that hasn't! It just happens as part of their bruxing routine!! And it's so funny cus they're usually settled down with slitty eyes going "grtititititit nyum nyum nyum gritititititititittitit nyum nyum nyum" And then Bogogogogogleeeee!!! And it's so funny cus the contrast from having half shut eyes to wide popping eyes is huge and they look massive!! BONGBONGBONGBONG!

As shelagh says, the tense/nervous/anxious/distressed bruxing is really noticeable... A couple of my girls in the past used to do it when they had their RTIs shortly before they left me, and it sounded awful... like "OOhhhhhh Baby!! Don't grind so hard!!!!" But you can usually calm them with some long gentle repetitive stokes... Poor things.

I adsolutely love it when they're bruxing normally and their eyes are facing completely different directions! Where you can see that little bit of Blueish in the corners (is it the sclera? I don't know much about rat eye anatomy) and they look so adorably stupid! hehehehe

Back