Bobo - June 2006 - Feb 1, 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelley

I am in complete and utter shock – I was no prepared for this, it was not his time! Bobo was not himself today, we weren't sure why, but he was fine yesterday so we thought he might just have been off. I was about to go to bed and say goodnight to the rats when Bobo didn't move. He didn't come to say goodnight, and I realized he had passed on. I'm still crying so hard, I won't be able to sleep tonight. I thought I'd spend a while writing a memorial to my special boy, he was truly a character and I miss him so much. I'm not ready to let go, I wasn't ready for him to pass. I thought we'd have many more months together, there was no previous signs that he would pass on so quickly. I think he must have had a stroke.. or something it was just so sudden. :cry:

I will start at the beginning. I saw a bunch of rats online at the Hamilton Animal Control that needed homes, among the rats posted was a group of 3 little baby boy rats. I saw them – a black berkshire, a pearl merle berkshire, and a pearl merle blazed banded. They were just so cute, I couldn't resist. With the help of Shelagh the boys came to Toronto, and I picked them up from her place. I was instantly in love, and Shelagh kept joking I should give her Bobo as a gift ;)

Blackberkinhand.jpg

The boys were amazing – so full of energy and they loved to play and wrestle. Bobo was the biggest, something that never changed. He was always the boss of the boys, but he was so gentle and kind. I introduced my old boy Sprite to the three babies, and they instantly lit up his life. He spent the last few months living with them, they took care of Sprite and treated him as their father figure with such respect.

DSCF6951.jpg

bobo2.jpg

Sadly, as all creatures must do – Sprite passed on. Bobo and his brothers continued to live together and get into all kinds of mischief. Bobo continued to grow, and grow, and grow, and grow... until he became a huge boy at about 2.5 lbs. Bobo is a cuddle bug, I could hold him on his back and tickle his tummy, if I scruffed him he'd just sit there with his feet curled up. He's an amazing boy, and I'm not ready to let go yet. I don't think I ever will be. I just can't imagine he's passed, I keep staring in at the boys cage hoping to see his face looking back at me. But I know I will never see it again.

9.jpg

When Sparrow injured his tongue – Bobo was the one to comfort him, clean him, keep him warm. I've been feeding the boys ensure and baby cereals – Bobo ate it all, gaining even more weight. I continued to feed Bobo his normal food, but he was always jealous of the other two getting all the baby cereal, so I'd let him eat with them.

jan11group.jpg

Some of my favorite things about him were his huge feet – they were just so cute. His tail also was kinked and when he ran on the floor his tail would stick to the left side of him. He could move surprisingly fast when he wanted to despite his size! I'll never forget Bobo, he's left a huge hole in my heart and I just can't stop crying.

bobovincent.jpg

boys1.jpg

I love you Bobo.

I miss you.

Please watch over your brothers, they are mourning as hard as I am.

:cry:

Oh no... sweet Bobo. I remember when it was all arranged for you to get those boys. I remember those sweet videos of the baby boys playing.
I met Bobo and his brothers... he was a doll.
I'm so sorry Shelley, sometimes they leave us much too soon. :(

Oh Shel!!! I am so sorry to hear about your wonderful Bobo. He really was my favourite and now I hear he was yours too. :(

As horrible as it is, a stroke is fast and there's no lingering or suffering. I am sure in time once the shock wears off you'll remember this part and not the gaping hole in your heart.

Can you do us all a favour when you are up to it?
Can you post the link to them all playing in their cage? If you still have it of course.

(((((Shelley))))))

Oh Shelley, I am crying along with you. That was a beautiful memorial. I am so sorry you lost your lovely boy.

The only thing I can take comfort in is that I gave him the best life I could, he always had multiple rat buddies and I loved him with my all heart. He passed quickly, and I'm thankful for that. I think it is harder when they are ill or slowly decline, but at least then you have time to prepare for the coming loss. This was so unexpected, and Bobo was indeed one of my favorite rats I've ever owned. He was just so special to me, I took this loss very hard. I cried all night, and I still keep breaking into tears throughout the day because I wasn't prepared or ready to say goodbye.

Here is the video of the boys playing, not the best quality, but it made me smile to see it once again. I haven't watched it in ages, and I sometimes forget how tiny they once were.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/7782536225551876/babies/

Thankyou for your kind words, it's always helpful to know others feel the same way. Most of us have all experienced a difficult loss, and it helps to have that support. We all mourn in our own ways - my way just tends to involve tons of crying and becoming emotionally unstable for a while. It'll get better in time, but I did not expect this at all. It was too soon :cry:

Oh no Shelley, I am SO sorry... what a terrible shock :cry: What a wonderful memorial to your dear boy.

Shelley, I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure your boys are playing with Hannah at the rainbow bridge as we speak ;)

I am so sorry. What a terrible shock for you. He sure must have had a wonderful life with you and all his buddies. You will all mourn together.

Thanks for posting the photos of his life.

I can relate so well to mourning a long time for a very special rat. I grieved so hard for Corrie (still am, but it's getting easier now) that I couldn't even put up a memorial. It's about time I did. She died Oct 16th.

She was pts at midnight, and I had to attend a course for work at 0800. Trying to pretend that I was OK was so hard; I just wanted to go home and cry.

Bobo must have been a wonderful armful of rattie at 2.5 pounds. You will have so many memories of cuddling him, and I hope that those memories become a comfort when the grief is not so fresh.

I'm so very sorry Shelly. It is so much harder when a rat (or other loved one) dies suddenly and harder still when they are your favourite.

(((Shelly)))

Have fun at the bridge Bobo, and don't get into too much mischeif.

Dewi

Back