Bloody urine

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Hi,

So I have two rats, Ducky and Timon, they are about 4 months old. I got them from a pet store and have had them for a month.

On Friday night I noticed that Ducky's pee was a very dark red, like it was pure blood. The next morning, I found two more small puddles of blood. I watched her Saturday and noticed that her pee was it's normal color again. She has been sleeping a lot more, and seems less willing to play. She is still eating and drinking but doesn't show much excitement for treats. She seems a little sluggish, not at all up to her usual level of energy. She has a little pink discharge from her eyes.

I am wondering, is this serious? Does she need to see a vet? Or will this be something that she can recover from on her own? (There is no blood in her urine at all anymore and she did seem a little more playful today...) I would have taken her to the vet but I'd need to sneak her on the bus. I dunno how well that would go...

She really needs to see a vet. My first concern would be an infection in the uterus, which requires antibiotics and usually a spay. They can get bad really fast, so its important she sees a vet as soon as possible. Another possibility is a bladder infection, which requires antibiotics. Please get her to the vet as fast as possible, can a friend give you a ride?

Pink

Has she eaten beets lately? If not, then yes, I'd get her to a vet asap. If it's a bladder infection, she's in a lot of pain which would explain her lack of interest in food. She may appear better to you because rats adapt fast and hide their pain really good.

Back