blood from face and butt ,internal injury? update he's gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double2

Can anybody tell me whats wrong with my rat.
it started back on 17th April.morning,i got up to pee,came back switch on the tube light and my rat didn't look well.picked him up and checked his heart beat ,which was slow.i noticed slight bobbing head movement afternoon the previous day and head bobbing in the morning was even more .he was not eating anything not even sweets and not even drinking water.later around 4pm he ate first time that day.I thought he will recover.but next few days he ate few selective items(mango,muskmelon) and that also not completely.the other thing i noticed was that he wanted to drink water but he had trouble.whenever he tried to sip ,it hurt him and he took a few steps back and then put its left side of throat to rest on the base.also its throat got wet after 15-30 minutes after drinking water or later in the day
entering the month of may he completely lost it.he is hardly eating (only chocolate milk dunked biscuits,and hardly 1 complete biscuit the whole day).
from 17th april to the day ,i have seen it bleed from the mouth 4-5 times(latest being last night) and from the past 4 days i think maybe he is also bleeding from his butt (i mean there is some kind of viscous liquid discharge containing blood)
whenever he wants to sleep he wants to put his throat on the body of the other rat.

Wet Throat
117elo1.jpg

orange poop (maybe bcoz of the orange flavored glucose water i am giving him these days,this morning it was dark red ) and again sleeping over the other rat.
nmk9pk.jpg

blood face this morning
33a7ath.jpg

i also have video recording of my rat(17th april morning,bobbling head)
sorry for wrong english.
can anybody tell me whats wrong with my rat.please reply.
should i separate my rats (but then he won't be able to relax his throat :sad3: )
thanks

Do not separate your rats, the sick boy is using the other one for support and comfort...resting their head on them is something a sick rat will do with a companion.

How old is your rat?

The wet chin, the porphyrin or blood are all not good signs. Can you check his teeth to see if they are crooked or growing into his head? Can you check his mouth, smell it for any sign of infection?

the diarrhea is probably from what you are giving him, hopefully anyways. I would advise a different hydrating solution, there are homemade ones with water sugar and salt that are better.

I would like to see that video if possible. He sounds very weak. How fast did this happen?

I took your pics and uploaded them to my photobucket so others can see them...if its not a jpg extension they won't show on the forum.

Wet chin

Diarrhea

and blood or porphryin (red discharge) on chin and chest :(

Do you have a rat vet?

Hi Double2, I'm so sorry this is happening.

The best thing to do would be to get him to a vet ASAP, and as lilspaz mentioned, check/smell his mouth.

lilspaz68 said:
Do not separate your rats, the sick boy is using the other one for support and comfort...resting their head on them is something a sick rat will do with a companion.

How old is your rat?

The wet chin, the porphyrin or blood are all not good signs. Can you check his teeth to see if they are crooked or growing into his head? Can you check his mouth, smell it for any sign of infection?

the diarrhea is probably from what you are giving him, hopefully anyways. I would advise a different hydrating solution, there are homemade ones with water sugar and salt that are better.

I would like to see that video if possible. He sounds very weak. How fast did this happen?

I took your pics and uploaded them to my photobucket so others can see them...if its not a jpg extension they won't show on the forum.

Do you have a rat vet?

i have edited my first post,the pics are visible,thanks for informing me
I have them since JULY 2011

his teeth pic ,his mouth smells bad
dd280m.jpg

i have prepared sugar+salt water and placed it on their table.

Aida said:
The best thing to do would be to get him to a vet ASAP, and as lilspaz mentioned, check/smell his mouth.

i already been banned from here once,bcoz i didn't right correct location thinking people won't reply bcoz of where i live.
i already searched over ,there is no rat vet here.

double2 said:
lilspaz68 said:

How old is your rat?

Do you have a rat vet?

i have edited my first post,the pics are visible,thanks for informing me
I have them since JULY 2011

his teeth pic ,his mouth smells bad
dd280m.jpg

i have prepared sugar+salt water and placed it on their table.

Aida said:

i already been banned from here once,bcoz i didn't right correct location thinking people won't reply bcoz of where i live.
i already searched over ,there is no rat vet here.

Sadly you are dealing with a severe infection and what looks like a malocclusion (teeth are growing crookedly and they can grow into the rats mouth and head causing horrible painful things...hence blood, drooling and infection).

You would need a vet to give you antibiotics, to trim those teeth, to give you pain meds. If you don't have that you only have one other sad option...BEG a dog/cat vet to gas down your rat or give it an anesthetic injection and have him put to sleep...there are 2 humane ways to euthanize a sick rat, and even a dog/cat vet can do it. Your poor boy is beyond help if a vet won't help him. Have you called the dog/cat vets to see if they could treat him?

Poor guy. I had a rat with crooked teeth, she was a baby and luckily I noticed before it hurt her. We were able to cut them ourselves (the vet used pet nail trimmers, we used a small wire cutter)...I think because of the advanced nature of it though it would be best to have a vet help with that, then maybe you can maintain the teeth yourself later (it has to be done about every 2 weeks). The vet I went to was not a rat vet either, trimming the teeth shouldn't be very hard. Here is a page about it that gives treatment information you can give the vet if they are not sure about it.

http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/malocclusion.php

stupid enough, i alone have managed to cut his teeth (with a little cut inside his right cheek and small part of his top left teeth remains which is i think is moving).the teeth parts were inside his mouth i think i have managed to remove all parts.he is not bleeding from inside his mouth.please tell me will this improve his condition or have i put him in more pain :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: .all the teeth are unequal now.
i just gave him piece of muskmelon and it jumped for it but only bit it 2 times ,left it and is now lying with his head hanging off the edge.he is all bones now has no more weight to lose.last time i took him in my hand and put him back on table it fumbled and he is struggling to walk since last evening.

It is hard to say whether the teeth trim will have any effect but sadly he may be too far gone to recover at this point :( Aside from rushing him to a skilled vet to be treated or put to sleep ( as others said) there is really nothing left to do for your boy other than keep him comfortable as possible, make your peace with him and say your good byes. Once a rat stopped eating there is usually not much left to do and they usually pass some time after this point. I'm really sorry you have to go through this *hugs*

Few hours back gave him paracetamol solution,hopefully that'll relieve him from pain.he still there lying watching all the movements around him.his partner will join in him few minutes and will give him company during the night.

Try syringe-feeding into his mouth something like Ensure, which is a nutrition shake that you can get at the store- it's used in people for quick weight gain/nutrition.

Also, your rat still has a chance if you go to a vet! If there are no good rat vets around, try going to some normal vets and beg for them to prescribe you some that will help the infection. If his teeth are fixed, what you need to cure now is the infection.

I know you mentioned that you don't want to post it, but where are you located? If you give us a city, we can check the rat club/rat association websites and maybe find one that you can at least call...

Here are the latest pic
izuyaw.jpg

de8j0p.jpg

only thing i said was that my previous account got banned bcoz i wrote my location as "i don't know" bcoz i thought if i write India nobody would reply.but all of you have been cool.please don't hate my rat bcoz of my location,my location is new delhi,India.

Do you have dog/cat vet you could take him to? They could give you antibiotics, I am sure they could even mildy sedate him with isoflurane to cut his teeth straight. Since likely they don't compound pills for rats you could just buy the pills and we could help you suspend them and with dosages.

If ANYTHING buy antibiotics online. Could you do that? Something is better than nothing at this point, this boy needs treatment. :(

double2 said:
only thing i said was that my previous account got banned bcoz i wrote my location as "i don't know" bcoz i thought if i write India nobody would reply.but all of you have been cool.please don't hate my rat bcoz of my location,my location is new delhi,India.

Dont worry we don't discriminate against people cause they come from around the world. We have members in many places. ")

Sending warm comforting vibes to your baby. what is his name?
Even if his teeth are uneven, I would imagine he is a bit more comfortable than he was when the teeth were pressing into the inside of his mouth.
You are here and seeking help. no one is going to turn away from you or your rat. we are here to help.

he has passed away 12th may around 1:40am .below is what all happened.sorry my english is bad.read if you want to not forcing anybody.its very long ,sorry.

11th around 9:00pm raining,lol some kind of special signal from mother nature i thought to myself.later during the night holding his weak body :sad3: ,was giving him paracetamol solution drops and salt-sugar water solution drops,he took few drops and then pushed the dropper away.placed him back on the table,he turned towards right where he smelled tiny bits of cake which were left there for my other rat,he went for them tried to chew but couldn't :sad3: (bcoz i trimmed his teeth uneven during the day :cry4: ) and with his weak wobbly hands gathered the bits within his reach and tried to put them in his mouth but couldn't.....just laid his head there between those tiny pieces looking at me with his drying eyes :sad3: almost saying " i can't ,can you help me ? " :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: (he was hungry for more than 10 days) .left him there ,went to the other room where my 2 cousins were.3 of us came back around 1:3? putting all the stuff to place preparing for bed,saw him breathing heavy and slow hanging his head off the edge of the table,thought to myself last breathe ? went to the other room and came back in less than 10secs and saw him not breathing,touched him ..... :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: :cry4: kissed him,picked him and ran towards bathroom started crying,my cousin had seen me and informed others.everybody came,mumma started weeping when she saw the dead in my hand and me crying,telling me to stop crying saying that he had to leave,he was sad and in pain.mumma asked me to place the dead in the table drawer,told me that we'll bury him in during the day.went to bed crying .woke up 1/2 hr later ,opened the draw took him to bathroom,kisses,caressing and tears.came back kept him in the drawer and went to bed.

morning woke up took the body out of drawer,body was stiff,started crying ,mumma saw me ,came in to console me ,again she started weeping watching me cry.she asked me to put it back,i did and went to bed.woke up around 10:30am ,mumma told me we will now go and bury him.took it out of the drawer,caressing him started crying.mumma patted me on the back,wrapped a white cloth around the dead body and we went to bury it.
later during the day it started raining,on my way back from bakery getting cake for mother's day ,standing on footpath looked left towards the sky , it was rain drops and sun ,super combo for him.finally after remaining thirsty for more than a week was getting water.

now just before going to bed i looked over the table and i again started weeping coz there is only one rat and then my mumma explained me something which maybe related to bhagavad gita,don't worry won't be writing.still feeling pain of loss.both my rats were my first pets.so it hurts. :( :(

I'm so sorry. Your baby is at peace now. There isn't anything you can do now, he's in nature's hands- now you just need to find some peace yourself.

I know how it feels- one of my two sweeties died just two days ago, too. Even though I did everything I could, surgery and vet as soon as possible and all, she still didn't make it. Sometimes, it's just not meant to be, like your mom said, and it's their time no matter what you do.

Just focus on your memories of the little guy now, and on the new memories you can form with your other rat that you have left. Soon, you'll feel better.

Back