Blood curdling squeal with no cause

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomRat

So, earlier this evening, I heard a noise from the cage I had never heard before. There was no fighting or scuffling going on, and all of a sudden a squeal, a long, high-pitched eeeeeee sound, never heard anything like it, not through intro fights, or Greg getting his ear sliced open, or anything. I thought for sure one of our tiny wild invaders(the mice we refuse to use lethal means against) had finally braved the top half of the cage and was being swiftly slaughtered by the girls.

There was nothing there. Picked each of the girls up to see if everyone was ok, and after I set Jayden down in a hammock and was looking over Luna, I heard it again - and it came from Jayden. Sitting in a hammock, possibly nosing at her front paws, just an eeeeeee - really, what it most sounds like is someone stepping on a squeaky toy. Picked Jayden back up. Checked paws, no redness no swelling and no protest. No lumps on the body, no obvious wounding. She was spayed two months ago and has healed well. Looked at her mouth as well as I could(she's not real into that) and her teeth are straight, no apparent swelling or blood. Did the rat phone and her lungs sound fine, though her heart was going 100 miles a minute.

Is there anything I'm overlooking? Anything else we should check on her? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? She hasn't done it since, and went back to burrowing in the blankets and climbing on the cage like nothing had happened. :panic:

Don't know then. I have the same issue with one bunny - every few months I hear this horrible scream from her. She seems unaware she made it and has no other issues and the vet doesn't know what it is.

This is far fetched but this happened to me once. A pin had been left in the cube and it took forever to find it. I had taken it down and it was just in the seam.

Is she part guinea pig? I'm learning very fast that guinea pigs will stare at you and squeak real loud for seemingly no reason. :giggle:

In all honesty though, I do hope she's fine and she just got spooked by something.

xxchelle said:
Is she part guinea pig? I'm learning very fast that guinea pigs will stare at you and squeak real loud for seemingly no reason. :giggle:

Yeah, I KNOW about that! These things are always hungry when we are around! :lol:

I do have Mac screaming little a pig getting slaughtered, but it is out of fear - either when Pollux (my biggest) or Cookie (my smallest) try to dominate him. My vet says she cannot believe she has raised such a wimp :giggle:

But no, I have never heard it for anything else but fear.

Back