Blind? Rescue Bun

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayla

Alright...I just accidently closed the window right before I finished my post, so you'll be getting the abbreviated version tonight. :wink:

This female bun was in a bare, plastic grid bottom cage, being fed mostly hamster food because it made her stink less. :redhot:

The people that had her were trying to sell her without any mention to her health issues which I didn't find out about until I got her home. (I was wondering why they so readily agreed to let me have her for free.)

Anyways, she seems to be bleeding on and off from her girl parts. She also has almost solid white pupils. The vet confirmed my suspicion of cataracts when I took her in. She is unsure of the cause, but they are most likely related to poor nutrition. Her spay is being put off until the vet further investigates her cataracts as there could be an underlying medical issue which could cause problems when they put her under.

Her are a couple pics of the cutie:

ratsandbunny104.jpg

ratsandbunny105.jpg

Kayla again with the cute bunnies...your killing me.

So sad that this poor girl is blind and that her people were idiots (hamster food :gaah: ). I hope she gets better soon...

this just makes me sad. that poor poor bunbun. :( :cry4: :cries:

do you think she will get better with her eyes? my friends cat had one eye like that cause some little kid poked her in the eye and scratched her corneas. But Boo (the cat) is vary happy and loving anyways.

Oh she's beautiful - and so very lucky that she has you to care for her now. How ridiculous can people be?! :(

Anyways, she seems to be bleeding on and off from her girl parts.

That's so scary, rabbits are so incredibly prone to uterine cancer. I hope you can get her spayed before it progresses further, if that's what it is. Did they say how old she is?

I am very concerned about uterine cancer too, but the vet won't spay her until she's properly looked into complications from possible underlying issues. I'm hoping for sooner than later because I contacted the people that had her after I noticed the blood and her eyes, and they said, "I have had her since she was very small and she has always had a period. Last for a few days and stops and starts again. Her eyes have been like that for 1 year I would say." :gaah: I told them that rabbits aren't supposed to get a period and that she could died from their lack of care. :redhot: I was told she is 3-4 years of age, and the cataracts don't effect her mobility at all. (I guess you would kinda get used to them after a year.)

Kayla said:
I am very concerned about uterine cancer too, but the vet won't spay her until she's properly looked into complications from possible underlying issues. I'm hoping for sooner than later because I contacted the people that had her after I noticed the blood and her eyes, and they said, "I have had her since she was very small and she has always had a period. Last for a few days and stops and starts again. Her eyes have been like that for 1 year I would say." :gaah: I told them that rabbits aren't supposed to get a period and that she could died from their lack of care. :redhot: I was told she is 3-4 years of age, and the cataracts don't effect her mobility at all. (I guess you would kinda get used to them after a year.)

that is soooo horrible, that pooor pooor bunny. i hope those people don't have another pet ever.

God, that is so horrible. That poor bungirl. Hopefully she'll be on the mend now with you and a vet to properly look after her. I don't know how people can do these things to animals.

Alicemcmallis said:
Oh she's beautiful - and so very lucky that she has you to care for her now. How ridiculous can people be?! :(

Anyways, she seems to be bleeding on and off from her girl parts.

That's so scary, rabbits are so incredibly prone to uterine cancer. I hope you can get her spayed before it progresses further, if that's what it is. Did they say how old she is?

The "bunny vet" we have been dealing with lately said all should be spayed...even if kept my themselves for this very reason.........

I really don't want to wait at all to have her spayed, but I do understand the increased risk we would be taking without fisrt making sure she's alright to be put under. I am however worried about the risk of waiting when she could have uterine cancer. I'm sure the vet will have some answers for me when I'm in there this Wednesday with the dogs. She is very good about researching things she's not sure about and she's always prepared to learn more. (She did amazing with giving our late Milou chemotherapy as travelling to Guelph that often was not an option.) I'll let you know when I find out more information.

Here are some pictures of her temporary pen style cage.

ratsandbunny168.jpg

ratsandbunny169.jpg

It is currently 3.5' x 5 ', but I'd like to expand it to be about 6'x8' and add some shelves to use it for whoever is staying here. :wink2: I already love them all, so whatever works best for the buns. I could keep a pair if they get along, but the older male bun I really like may not be good with other buns. I won't know until after they're all fixed. I also have to consider what types of homes I'll be able to place them in. For example, if a potential adopter has another bunny already, I'd rather they have a better bonded pair and deal with the difficult ones or a lone but spoiled one myself because I know I'll manage either way, and I always worry about people getting rid of their pets for stupid reasons. (ie: they're not getting along----this is why rabbit rescues usually allow foster to adopt programs) I'm taking into account how "adoptable" each of them is as well. Ideally, the older buns will bond and the younger boy will find an awesome home. Sorry to ramble on...

We just heard back from the vet, and she gave the ok to book her spay. :joy: Her appointment is next Thursday. The bad news is that her cataracts are most likely caused by a parasite that is so difficult to get rid of that the vets don't normally bother trying to treat it. Unfortunately, it is contagious to other rabbits through urine, so it was recommended that she go to a home without other rabbits. :sad3: I'm going to look into it more after her spay. I forget what the parasite is called, but there wasn't a test done anyways, so I'm not completely convinced she actually has it. :wallbang:

Yay for spays! BOOOO to parasites that cause blindness! That's so sad!

Can they test for it to make sure??

Moon said:
Yay for spays! BOOOO to parasites that cause blindness! That's so sad!

Can they test for it to make sure??

They could test for it, but the vet said the tests are not accurate for this particular parasite. :(

Back