Blind in one eye after Baytril?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratlets

I noticed my Ushi's right eye is dull tonight. As far as I can tell, she's blind in it. Ushi is not the most social of rats, so I don't know how long her eye has been like this, but I think I would have noticed.

Baytril has caused blindness in dogs after treatment, I believe. Could this be the case with my Ush? She was on Baytril and Doxy with the rest of my crew for 2 weeks. Ushi is two years old.

What else coulda dull eye indicate?

I can't dispute clinical findings but I haven't heard of baytril causing blindness in rats ever, and it's used so often for them.
I'd think its more likely that it's an unrelated thing.
Is she an older girl? Cause they can get the same problem aging humans do. I'd keep an eye on it and watch for any swelling around her eye. If she's a younger girl and her eye is noticably duller maybe she needs a vet to find what's going on?

I don't think there has been any such findings for rats. Although that doesn't mean it can't happen.
There are a number of things that can cause her eye to become dull. Are you perhaps seeing the third membrane staying up? Rats have a thin film that goes over the eye. It's usually at the bottom and goes upward. Sometimes when rats get old, sick or has an injury the protective membrane can stay up for longer periods. I've seen it in my very old guys.
But in the end, rats don't really use their eyes anyway so it shouldn't be a hindrance in the least for your sweetie.

Check in the light for cataracts since she's an older girl. There's a lot of rats who have been on baytril their entire life (maintenance) and have never had eye issues so I doubt that its a problem with rats.

Alright!

Thanks guys! I'll probably take her to see the vet on Monday (assuming she's not in today.. usually isn't on Fridays or weekends) just to make sure.

I tried getting a good look at her eyes last night, but she's so squirmy!

After looking at her some more (which is difficult; she is very active), I think it may just be a cateract!

Maybe not a cataract but a natural aging occurrence in the eyes. I had brought in an older rat to the vets and she told me that rats don't really get cataracts but they do get what looks like cataracts, it's what happens when they age.

jorats said:
It's just like bumblefoot, it's actually a falconese term but is used for rats but it's not entirely the same thing.
Can you explain what a falconese term is Jo? I looked on the net but can't find what is means... of course I'm interested in bumblefoot as a falconese term as I'm dealing with that horror with my girl Fidget.

My Kelley's eyes seemed to have an unnatural filmy look to them, especially in her last months, but she never showed any difficulty in maneuvering the cage or during her out time even when I changed things around, so I just assumed that it may have hindered her ability to see detail at worst.

Oh, ok, thanks. Of course! Gotcha. Yeah, I knew bumblefoot is something birds get too from reading on the web.

*edit* I knew from reading the web - Not that birds get bumblefoot from reading on the web, that only affects their eyes.

Fidget said:
*edit* I knew from reading the web - Not that birds get bumblefoot from reading on the web, that only affects their eyes.
:laugh4: Too funny. All the little birds sitting at their little computers.

Back