Bleeding from the vagina?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

A few months ago I had my 6month girl Vesper at the park and when i picked her up I noticed she had some blood coming out of her vagina. It wasn't a lot...just little drops here and there every so often. I wasn't sure what to think and my friend told me that rats get their periods sometimes. I didn't think that was right because I've had females before and that never happened as far as I was aware. The next day there was no blood and she seemed fine so I didn't take her to the vet even though I should have (no money). So I guess I'm wondering is this a medical issue that I should worry about. It hasn't happened for the last few months and she is perfectly fine. Why did this happen?

Rats definitely don't have menstrual periods, so that is out. :)

You are sure it was her vagina not her urethra?

If you see blood in urine thats a telltale symptom for a UTI (urinary tract infection), but I also have seen a drop of "blood" from the vagina and its gone away. As we all know porphryin (red fluid emitted from rats often mistaken for blood) is in all their fluids (nose, eyes, urine, saliva) so why not from there too? If it had continued it could've been a Pyometra (infection of the uterus) or something along those lines. Myco also can affect the genitals/reproductive system as well.

I would suggest keeping an eye on her, once in a while, pull her out and rub a white napkin on her vulva and see what comes through. If she continues to have spots, then I'd suggest bringing her in. Myco definitely does affect genitals.

Back