black tooth

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimiko

Hello,
Saturday night, I noticed one of my rat's teeth is black. It's not the whole tooth, just the front half. (pics attached) She's still eating and drinking fine. I texted my vet yesterday, and she said it may be caused from trauma and to just keep an eye on it for now. Anyone experience this? This is the first time I've seen this. Any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 123
It does look swollen and upset.. I'm not sure if it's the same for teeth but the black could be necrosis or something else like that-?

How is she eating? If you notice her struggling to eat (slower or less food intake overall) give her some watery, soft foods such as yogurt, applesauce, baby food, etc. However, too much of all of these can cause diarrhea. You can also try soaking her standard lab blocks in water to soften them up. All of these make it easier for her to still consume calories, but not spend so much time trying to eat harder foods if her teeth hurt.

If her tooth starts to smell or anything, talk to the vet some more.

Back