Biting me!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argent

Last night I had Hugo and Mako out on the bed as usual, and after like...two hours, Hugo just started biting my thigh, not enough to break skin but it hurt, and it's not something he's done before...
Tonight he's doing it again, and I thought it might've been the smell of the babies but I've changed my pj's, washed my hands and put on my usual perfume (because the new pj's smell like..brand new e.g. neutral) so he'd know it was me..and he still keeps coming over just to bite my leg...what's up with him!? I'm basically just scaring him off with a sharp "tsst!" noise when he does it, which works but he doesn't appear to be learning his lesson very quickly...
I'm also scared he's bullying Mako away from their food as he freezes up and refuses to eat anything (including scrambled egg from my hand) because Hugo's looking at him :(

Just my left thigh...how odd >< and my heel if it's on show

I've noticed most rats only bite toes when they're in socks, so I never wear them and they leave my feet alone..he just keeps nipping my thigh, I tell him off and he walks further along my leg to sniff a spot further down, then goes off about his business, it's strange...he does it really calmly too, not like lunging at me or anything :(

Yes, sock biting definately.. yet if you put a sock on a bed or something where rats are... they couldnt care less.

Very very bizarre creatures lolz!

Is it only one pair of trouser he bites u in? maybe there is something tasty there ^^

Nope this is the third pair! I thought my satin jammies might smell of the babies so I changed them for stripey ones after my shower earlier today, and he's still biting them, so I changed to polka dot ones and he's still doing it, but more aware I'll scare the hell out of him at the same time..it's like he's testing me D8
So weird though-he's been curled up next to me for scritches and everything!

Maybe its just a wierd phase? very wierd that he only bits your leg and it doesnt matter what pyjama bottoms your wearing. Patrick has started nipping everyone but me haha!!! My boyfriend was winding him up the other day, and then he stopped. Patrick walked over to him and bit him right on the hand! Served him right though :D

It was like a nip, but u know what guys are like "OMG did you see that?!! He's took the skin off and everything!". ssooo over dramatic

He does act rather dominant...and I did mention it to my mum (I'm paying of course) but if he does get any worse, I may have to seriously consider it...once he's off his resp meds that is (they won't put a sneezy rat under the knife)
He's only 7 months-ish...so that's still definately young enough luckily

Let me know prices if you decide to enquire about it. I'm more curious - never known anyone getting a rat 'fixed' in the UK yet. I think if its just a nip though then he might grow out of it. But.. he might also turn into a nutcase :D time will tell lol

Whats he like with Mako??

Bullies him, pushes him around, scares him away from food apparently too...

They do curl up together and sit together from time to time, and Mako has a go at him as well, but Hugo's just so much bigger he can flip him over in a heartbeat, it's quite sad to watch! >.< I'm hoping he's just going through 'puberty'...I can somewhat remember my old Alpha rat Joey having similar nipping habits which he too grew out of...I'm hoping it's just hormones and he doesn't beat up my babies too much when he meets them!

I'll be sure to let you know of prices next time I'm at the vets! Most likely for a follow up after their meds run out :D

For some reason, some rats will nip at certain body parts. My Loki would do this to my cheek. I've had some that would do my belly. It's not aggression... it's almost like friendly testing nips. The only thing you can do is not allow him near your bare body.

Doesn't have to be bare skin-in fact, he's more likely to leave that alone, he's biting my leg through my pj's...but at least it doesn't seem unfriendly, tis still a bit rough >.<
And I guess he's not too bad with Mako either..he's just a rather...boisterous Alpha rat :D who will forcefully lick the meds from around his mouth when he goes back in the cage...

One thing you can do is when he nips, pick him up, say a firm no and put him in a time out...like a small empty cage, no food, no water, no bedding... leave him there for about 5 minutes each time he nips you.

Piper nips toes. Hers seem to happen when you are paying attention to everyone else. She will nip my feet and then look up at me....like she is saying "hey remember me" It doesn't really hurt just startles you. I tried saying no and scolding her but she seemed happy with negitive attention...so I just pick her up and put her in the carrier cage and then play with everyone else...I leave her there for a while and then take her out. Didn't really help much so now I just wear shoes.. :giggle: Good thing she is so adorable......

Hehe I'm glad it's not got worse! The "tsst!" :cheeky: noises seem to have deterred him to the point where he'll just sniff with his nose pressed right against my leg til I notice and then he wanders off... :eyeroll: he's such a weird boy...I think it is just for attention as I'm usually on the computer while they're out XD (I do give cuddles and scritches though!)

Back