Big problem with Yuki - Seems like she's going to puke

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBlade

Helllo all,

I'm gonna ask your advice or if you know what's going cuz I'm very very very worried about my female rat Yuki.

She's ALWAYS been fine, no breathing probleme, no polys, no nothing except little sneezes from times to times. But, recently, like 2 weeks ago, she started doing some really weird loud noises.

Right now, I have her with me and from what I can observe, she looks like she's gonna puke but doesn't puke. She does the puking mouvement like when rats do their weird move qwhen they swallow something too big. She keeps doing it like every 15seconds and doing a big weird sneeze at the same time. And her sides are doing some odd mouvements, not like any I saw before. Not like Zumi or Mizu had. (By the way, Zumi is doing fine, she's on Baytril and if feeling LOTS better) but, yeah, I have no idea what's going on with Yuki. It comes and goes. And I recently went to check on her and she was really bad. I can hear her do some noises. To me, it looks like she's got something in her throat thats stuck and shes trying to puke it out but since rats can't puke, it's just plain weird. She's been doing that for 2 weeks now and started to do BANG in a flash. Her sides make wave mouvements, not the same has Zumi has (she has breathing problems) but Yuki never had some. I checked with the vet 3 weeks ago when i went with zumi, she told me Yuki was fine and had no infections or breathing problems at all, not even a start.

Edit : I just put my ear close to her head to hear her breathe and she is breathing really hard. Looks likes me when I had to go at the hospital cuz I was going blue cuz I couldnt breath propaly at all. It doesnt sound like Zumi's breathing problem either. It's a weird different kind of "having trouble to breath" sound. I'm really scared that she's gonna die on me any moment.

It sounds like Yuki is choking on something. Its very scary to watch but almost all rats work it out without any help needed or even wanted from us.

She might drool but that's only to break up what she has stuck in her throat. Peanut butter, white bread, etc are all things that will cause choke.

Just watch her carefully but let her work it out herself.

is it possible she has something in her throat? can you look in her mouth? These are just ideas, I really wish I had a better answer but I'm still a rat noob

It really is scary when they choke on something but she's working hard at producing more saliva to pass the food. Just leave her alone for a bit, she needs some quiet to work it out.

Yeah but she's been doing weird noises ever since 2 weeks ago and tonight, it's just the weirest and the puking thing. And she refuses to drink, eat or even move around (usually she's a ball of energy that wont stay in place).

edit : oh, i noticed she opens her mouth a bit every time she breaths

Does it look like gasping or like yawns once in a while. If it's like yawns, then she needs to stay quiet, no food while she works it out.

Yeah I think it's a really long choke. Cuz she's been doing that for 2 weeks on and off, just less bad than that rat. She opens her mouth a little bit. But yeah she does weird sounds like him. I managed to give her water with a syringue, she stopped.. but shes starting back to do noises so I'm gonna give her some more. X___X

edit : She stopped looking like she's gonna vomit but she squeals and she's still having hard time to breath.

Not that I remember. I didin't feed her anything special since she started doing that. Only her normal food cuz I was too scared to give her anything else.

But, right now she's not choking but still doing weird noises and breathing hard.

Edit : What do you think I should do? It's been 2 weeks and I dont know if I should bring her to the vet or do something to help her?

No she doesnt have any porphyrin at all, it's all clean around her nose and eyes. I noticed that shes alot calmer than the usual except when she starts looking like shes gonna vomit, she goes nuts and doesnt want anbody to touch her. And, yesh, maybe it's gasping, cuz she doesnt open her mouth wery wide but she still does it everything she tries to breath, from what it looks to me.

moon said:
It doesn't sound like choking to me. I think she's gasping.

I have to agree, it sounds like she is gasping for air, especially if this has been happening off and on for two weeks. I would bring her to the vet asap.

Yeah! That's more like it! She's just opening her mouth a little bit, exactly like this rat, every time she breaths and she doesnt like to be touched. She jumped in my trashcan once!

But it comes and goes. Not always like that.

OMGGG he died 15min after!! *runs to the phone*

Was is that? What's going on with Yuki? Is it a bacteria?

By the way, I just checked Yuki and she is doing very fine, her sides aren't moving, no breathing sounds, she seems in perfect health but I'm not gonna take any chances, I'm calling the vet.

****, vet isn't open. Oh well, Yuki'll have to wait. :gaah:

It's very weird that there appears to not be any other symptoms. But yes, she needs to get to the vet tomorrow.

Back