Bibi low energy, legs shaking and stiff all of a sudden, not feeling well.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilah

Go Vegan * Tread Lightly
This morning, Bibi Sanders (estimated 2 years, 11 months) her hind legs are shaking and both her hind and front legs are fairly stiff, and she's half limp - she can hardly get around. Her sides are sucking in and out down by her legs though she has no respiratory illness currently and you can't hear her breathe. She's in pain because when I picked her up gently she peed. Not raising her head much but munching on some apple and bread. Lots of porphyrin in her eyes. This is a sudden change, she was fine last night. Anyone have experiences with something like this?

Other medical stuff about her: When I took her in (about 9 months ago) she had breathing issues (fixed with antibiotics) and her tummy mammary tumour was beginning to grow, and she had severe bumblefoot which I keep in check with cleaning & topical antibiotics. In the last few months she's been developing lumps on her head/cheek/neck, abscesses, most of which are now gone (drained, or exploded and healed on their own) but one under her neck is permanent - the vet said half of it was another section he couldn't get into and the puss stuff was hardened. Not this past draining (a month ago) but the draining the month before that, he said that the puss was coming up from her teeth from the abscess under her chin/neck. Maybe there is a new complication with it? Only a couple days ago, I noticed 2/3 of it was gone and wet so it exploded on its own. Maybe when giving her meds last night (usually it's in food but this time with syringe) I hurt the wound, or it went down the wrong way!? She seemed totally fine then. :'(

Daily she takes: Bromocryptine, meloxicam, enrofloxacin, and doxycycline. She also has an implant in between her shoulders to help with hormones since she was a bit too old and not in great shape to get the tumour removed and spayed.

She lives with Aminal Rati in our barricaded living room, fleece covered and box houses, with a permanently open double CN. This past month the exit ramp and ramps in the cage are too challenging because of the size of the tumour so I've moved the CN off the stand to be level with the ground. She's still been going in and out of it, chewing on the houses, eating and drinking.

The vet is in later today. I asked if he can prescribe me some pain meds for her so that she is more comfortable until I bring her in at their first opening which is tomorrow aft. Hope I can pick something up for her. Going to syringe her some water in the meantime since she can't lift her head to drink, and keep her comfortable. Assuming that if her situation deteriorates and she stops eating or is severely suffering, she'll be euthanized tomorrow. Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Oh no I made her comfy and went to take a nap waiting for the vet to call. Woke up and she's gone. I feel bad that I wasn't with the sweet angel as she was passing away and that we didn't get her pain meds. :cry5: Can't believe she's gone.. she was ok last night. It can happen so fast.

:flowers3: ~*~ For my beloved daughter Bibi Sanders ~*~ :flowers3:

Bibi had a very hard first 26 months or so living in rough conditions. At least she had a happier ending where she enjoyed lots more soft comfort, space, care, and Ami. At first she was so scared and stressed that she would hyperventilate whenever she was picked up. Over time she completely changed - was always a funny quirky girl but became so much more comfortable and happy-go-lucky. She would run over to you, play and cuddle under your legs and jump into your hands or lap. Bibi had a gentle heart and was so nice to Ami and Robert. Their introductions were easy. She had an amazing energy despite her many health obstacles. Nothing got her down or phased her. She was such a trooper. She loved life. We loved her so much, our precious friend and daughter.
:heart::mouse2ud2::heart:

..If anyone still has any info about suddenly shaking hind legs and stiffness like this, please let me know. I'd like to find out about what happened to her.

Aw, poor old ratlady.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave her the best life she could have, given all those health problems and her advanced months, and looked after her wonderfully in her old age.

Lots of them don't like company when they're passing. The same thing happened with Agent J-- I spent the day holding him, giving him all the love, and then put him back in his house for a few minutes so I could hit the bathroom. When I came back, he had passed on. It sounds like Bibi waited until she had some quiet time alone.

Back