Best way to give Ketoconazole

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground_sniper

Hey y'all. I'm terrible at math formulas and whatnot... need to give my babies Ketoconazole for their ringworm and I've got 200mg tablets...the recommendation is 4 mg/lb, PO, TID given for 3 to 4 weeks. I'm assuming I should crush the pill up and mix it with a liquid to syringe feed them, and just need to know how much of the liquid I should mix to get that right. Or if you have a better way to give them their medication it'd be great!

I think I came up with
500mL of liquid at a rate of 10mL for 4mg/lb
or
250mL of liquid at a rate of 5mL for 4mg/lb

but like I said, I'm not relying on my mental math. :wallbang:

I usually mix pills in 5mL's of liquid. Half distilled water and half syrup (usually strawberry).

So 2.5mL of water until the pill dissolves (I find this easier than crushing it) and then 2.5mL of syrup. I imagine this would need to be refrigerated..
That would make a 40mg/ml concentration. If you post their weights I can give you doses, or you can do it yourself with this calculator. :D
http://www.ratclub.org/dose_general.htm

Okay, Thanks!!! I didn't know about that calculator. Yeah, I seem to have been estimating to give them more of the liquid as a treat, haha. They fight over medicine because I usually mix it with almond milk.

Back