best rodent? (Other than rats of course)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livyaahh

I think I'd say dwarf hamsters, because they are just so freaking adorable.

Oh and you're not allowed to say rabbits (because technically rabbits aren't rodents, they're lagomorphs ;))

Guinea pigs are pretty awesome. A lot of people find their "talking" irritating but I think it's cute lol!

I was gonna say mouse too, I used to have a few before I owned my first rat. My first mouse was named Roxanne, a real sweety :D

breakthenight said:
Beavers or porcupines. What can I say, I'm both a patriot and someone who roots for the underdog.

I must be an ignoramus living under a rock the past 24 years. I had no clue porcupines were rodents. Although to be honest, I suppose I'd never given the matter much thought. Learn somethin new everyday I suppose :D

Oh, for a pet I think I have to say Guinea Pig. If I had to choose from all rodents except rats that's what I would get.

I like mice. Can't really say other than that (I honestly cannot STAND hamsters, I've never met one that did not bite, no matter how socialized. Plus, even if you locked the thing in an airtight box made of iron and threw into a very deep lake, it would STILL find a way to escape.)

MadamBelladonna said:
I like mice. Can't really say other than that (I honestly cannot STAND hamsters, I've never met one that did not bite, no matter how socialized. Plus, even if you locked the thing in an airtight box made of iron and threw into a very deep lake, it would STILL find a way to escape.)

That. I can't stand the little beasts. All my friends think i'm crazy. e.o To be honest, I'm terrified of them. I'll put up with them, but they better not take a step inside my house.

I would have to say African soft furred rats... but they are rats... so they don't count... so mice. xD

Tikus said:
I would have to say African soft furred rats... but they are rats... so they don't count... so mice. xD

ASFs are thought to be the evolutionary link between rats and mice but they are neither rats or mice. (If you're afraid of hamsters biting, I'm a little surprised you wouldn't also be afraid of ASFs... they have an even worse reputation.)

Hamsters....I remember when I was 8 me and my sister both had a boy hamster. Mine was so cute I loved him to tears, but he didn't like me at all...I named him Rascal for just that, he was an evil little rascal and did nothing but bite me every time i tried to pet or hold him!

Gerbils I tried once, same thing! A male and female, they both hated me, both bit me all the time, whether i was cleaning their cage or giving them food it was bite bite bite, never again! Mice and rats, or at this point, rats only for me! lol

victoria said:
Tikus said:

ASFs are thought to be the evolutionary link between rats and mice but they are neither rats or mice. (If you're afraid of hamsters biting, I'm a little surprised you wouldn't also be afraid of ASFs... they have an even worse reputation.)

The thing is i've had to get stitches from a hamster. multiple times.
I have yet to meet an unfriendly ASF.

rhapsody said:
Livyaahh said:
temblabamomo said:
I've gotta go with the capybara. It doesn't get much cooler than that.
agreed :) capybaras are pretty awesome
Does anyone else follow the blogs of Caplin ROUS and his successor Garibaldi ROUS? There's a pretty cool pic of Garibaldi chilling out with his friend Bakersfield the rat - http://gianthamster.com/2011/11/capitalisms-and-the-winner-is/
wow! This is great :) I love all the little pictures of capybaras at the top, Their faces are so sweet they always look really bored :lol:

Hamsters of course! I've never had a 'mean' hamster unless they were cage territorial and that's usually easily solved by upgrading their cage. They are misunderstood by many and it's a sad, sad thing because they make wonderful pets. They can brux and boggle too. :3

If we're talking wild animals than hamsters still win. Ever heard of the European hamster (Cricetus cricetus)? So darned cute.

I think hamsters are adorable, as are mice...

I know you said rats don't count, but they take up the first 8 spots of my top ten rodent species (shh, it makes sense to me!) so I have to say rats!

I prefer rats first just due they live longer, are alot like dogs to me which I'm accustomed to, and never had a bad rat ever. I love mice too and i find all little pets to be adorable, I just didnt have good luck with hamsters or gerbils :p

Back