Best fresh foods

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessedmom

Other than the daily rat food (I give mine the oxbow rat pellets), what foods do y'all give your rats and how much/how often? Like veggies/meat/fruit/etc?

I would check out this thread! http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32047&page=1
It's pretty lengthy, but there's a lot of good conversation about what's good for rats, what they need in their diets, how to make your own mix, etc.

However, KatTheHippie listed all the fruit and veggies she gives her ratties later in the thread so I'll save you some time!

"bell pepper (red, green, orange, and/or yellow. I usually grab a few of each and switch it up) blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, pomegranate, cantaloupe, honeydew, apple, pear, peach, plum, carrot, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, greenbeans, peas, spinach, kale, dandelion leaves, mint, watercress, parsley, basil, cilantro, carrot tops, beet greens, swiss chard, collard greens, arugula, green leaf and red leaf lettuce, and romaine"

Blueberries are a super-fruit and awesome for them. I give mine a handful once a week. My babes also love broccoli and corn(frozen or fresh)! They aren't picky really but they don't seem to like carrots. What glitchiq mentioned is good

Please see: http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782

feed fresh or frozen/thawed veg daily and feed a variety
Jorats suggests that you remove any uneaten vegs after 20 mins

I feed vegs such as organic carrots, cooked sweet potato, peas, mixed organic greens, baked squash, baby kale, broccoli, cauliflower (they prefer it cooked)

occasional healthy treats such as: pieces of apple (no skin no seeds), pieces of ripe banana, a strawberry, blueberries, a piece of melon, pieces of ripe pear, watermelon pieces, other types of berries

I also give cooked organic 7 or 12 grain cereal - 1 tbs per rats
cooked quinoa
organic pumpkin seeds
baked squash seeds

Back