Ben bit me again! HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryCayden

So I went to get the boys out for some intro time because the last couple of days they were so good. Well I went to pat Ben and he attacked me. Repeatedly. I count 7 bites, my finger is a balloon. I couldn't stop the bleeding, mom had to rush over with her stuff. My finger is black. Good think Lindsayfawn was online. She said that he never acted like that with her. Why the sudden turn? He doesnt seem sick at all, and he's never attacked like that. I didn't go at him in a aggressive way. I didn't go above him. I went towards him at his level. He usually runs and licks me now. Anyone know?

How old is Ben? I know that sometimes neurological problems can change behaviors. ): How deep are the bites? Is there any fatty tissue hanging out?

This definitely sounds like a neurological issue... I've had a rat bite me because of a pituitary tumor (they get confused easily).

He is around 7-months. Neutered 2 weeks ago.

Cigar: No they are straight in bites.

smilez: He was so quick that he just flipped started biting and before I knew it he had 7 bites.

Neutered for hormonal aggression? Those nasty ol' hormones haven't left his system yet...I find it can take a month normally until they aren't having these rages that leave you shocked and bloody.

I always approach mine above the head after they see/know I am there. I never approach to the side, it's a dominant behavior. I believe the opposite is used for dogs/cats :) Sorry to hear he lashed out at you, I've been bitten before and it hurts like the dickens, throbs and burns like crazy. Be sure to get it check out and get some antibiotics into you asap.

At that age it shouldn't be anything neurological... poor boy. If he was neutered that recently, I agree with Shelagh, it possible it's hormonal aggression.

So strange that he's taken a 360. He lived with 6 boys here and not once did he have any aggression. He was always fearful. When you go to pick him up he was scream bloody murder lol So it's strange that' he's turned into an evil thing.

Hopefully in another few weeks he'll be sweet as pie if it is the hormones starting to set in.

If there's nothing hanging out and he bit straight down, the chance of needing stitches goes down. Phew. Keep your hand elevated and try a cold compress for short periods to bring down the swelling. If you can have something like Tylenol, it's a good choice because you're likely going to end up with a fever while your body does its thing. Nobody who licks their own butt has a clean bite! If you don't notice any improvement within no more than 48 hours or you start to feel really sick, hit up the ER for a proper course of abs. :[ I'm sure at some point in the past 10 years you've had a tetanus shot, but just in case you can't remember, might wanna ask for a booster.

Just like we always do with the ratkids, you can make up some saline solution and use that to clean it out.

His behaviour is normal for a male being put into a new home with a current colony of rats.
How long have you had him in your home? You are in the process of doing intros?

I have been bitten by rats who are normally gentle (even spayed girls) when my hands smelled like a "stranger" rat.

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Seven bites is a lot! Must hurt like crazy.

MaryCayden said:
I get to go to the hospital! The nurses looked at it. Its 4x the size and its swollen down my hand. Cant bend it or feel the knuckle. I think he hit something and so do they so

Oh crap. :( ! When I got bit the teeth sunk directly into the nerve canal.. I really hope that's not the case, it was an awful experience. If they wanted to do surgery on my hand again I'd tell them to skip it and put me directly on IV for a couple days. If your finger got THAT big that fast, request IV abs instead of oral. :hugs: It'll be okay, hang in there.

I've never had a rat suddenly act like this even after introductions or if my hand smells of another rat? It seems unlikely he'd flip out that much for nothing. At 7 months a brain related problem *is* possible?

Back